- The Obama Doctrine
Gary Sick on Obama's uber-realist (unrealistic?) MENA policy
- Egypt army extends power by taking charge of Gulf aid
- Egypt: The Revolution’s Last Stand - The Daily Beast
On student unrest.
- Petites guerres locales en Libye
Good piece on the difficulty of "reading" Libya.
- Meet Egypt’s next would-be president | Mada Masr
Reminds us that Sisi + army said he would not run.
- BBC News - Abdul Fattah al-Sisi: New face of Egypt's old guard
- Sisi 2014!
Steve Cook on the challenges facing Sisi.
- Occidental’s $8 Billion Deal Stalled by Brotherhood Row - Bloomberg
Fallout of GCC divide.
- Saudi Arabia: A kingdom on guard - FT
Long piece by Roula Khalaf on Saudi, Egypt, MB, GCC, etc.
- Report: Qatar's World Cup Expected To Take More Lives Than 9/11
What a headline.
- Time to Get Tough on Egypt - Shadi Hamid - POLITICO
- Meet Egypt’s next would-be president
So Sisi has announced...
Above, the "Libyan navy" – actually Misrata militias loading their pickup trucks mounted with artillery weapons onto a barge – shoots at the Morning Glory, a tanker that loaded oil from the blockaded port of Sidra, controlled by "federalist" militias. The ship was later seized by US Navy Seals. And below, the long-overdue links.
- Israel’s War on American Universities
- In search of an energy vision | Mada Masr
On Egypt's energy crisis.
- Book on women driving banned
At the Riyadh Book Fair. Which also banned all the works of Mahmoud Darwish this year.
- Egypt Revolutionary Singer Stopped From Performing
Not the sign of a confident regime
- In Egypt, the Military Means (Big) Business - Businessweek
- Ahmed Shafiq, in leaked phone calls, talks smack about Sisi
Calls the army's decision to back general for presidency "bizarre and ignorant"
- L’Arabie saoudite, un royaume en pleine transformation dans un environnement régional en recomposition - Entretien avec Nabil Mouline
- Egyptian women in numbers
On the occasion of International Women's Day
- The Jazeera Trial
Good dispatch by Bel Trew
- Another letter from jailed activist Alaa Abdel Fattah
Who as usual shows how dangerously thoughtful he is
- MBC Misr signal jammed during Bassem Youssef show
Satirical news show briefly interrupted when an "unknown entity" jammed the signal. A warning?
- What Would People Say?
Amro Ali on the country's "obsessive-compulsive public-image disorder"
- Visit the cinema at the end of the world | Dazed
An outdoor ghost cinema in Sinai. If this is true it's amazing.
- Qatar to bar Saudis, Bahrainis and Emiratis from Harrods in response to ambassador withdrawal | The Pan-Arabia Enquirer
- Showdown in the Gulf
On the withdrawal of Saudi, Bahraini, Emirati and Egyptian ambassadors from Qatar
- Darwin in Arabia | TLS
Robert Irwin reviews.
- Brutality, torture, rape: Egypt's crisis will continue until military rule is dismantled | Emad El-Din Shahin | Comment is free | The Guardian
- Three Gulf Arab states recall envoys in rift with Qatar | Reuters
- The Strange World of the Muslim Brotherhood Court Cases
Another stellar piece by Peter Hessler. Too many memorable lines to quote.
- Police officers sentenced to 10 years for Khaled Saeed murder
Akheeran! Let's hope they serve their full sentence
- Rebel infighting kills thousands of Syrians
The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant killed more rebel fighters than Assad's regime did
- Gulf atheism in the age of social media
Sultan Al Qassemi's very interesting history of atheism in the region
- Egyptian Stars of 'The Square' Can't Attend the Oscars
And it didn't win. Malesh!
- Manifesto - St.Catherine
Timeline of hiker's tragedy on Mount Sinai and official neglect
- Primer on Palestine, Israel and the Arab-Israeli Conflict | MERIP
- How Covert Agents Infiltrate the Internet to Manipulate, Deceive, and Destroy Reputations - The Intercept
- Egypt's generals: It gets ever sillier | The Economist
On the koftagi device
- Egypt PM retracts culture minister appointment - Ahram Online
Corporatist reflexes strong as ever - see last line.
- The $20 Million Case for Morocco
Well-researched overview of Morocco's Western Sahara lobby.
- Claims of cure for HIV, Hepatitis C are a 'scandal': Egypt presidential advisor - Ahram Online
- MEI Editor's Blog: Guest Post: Prince Charles' Sword Dance and the Early History of UK-Saudi Relations
- CC cures HIV/AIDS | moftasa.net
Must-read on Egyptian military's miracle device. This is to Sisi what Nile meeting was to Morsi, so embarassing.
- The Conman’s paradise - DNE
Another instant classic by @sandmonkey
- The Turbulent World of Middle East Soccer: Egyptian autocrats struggle with soccer’s political pros and cons
- Lourde peine requise contre le caricaturiste
Algerian cartoonist Djamel Ghanem threatened w/18 months prison for unpublished, unfinished comic against Bouteflika re-election.
- A return to the 1990s? | Mada Masr
An informative comparison of jihadi groups in Egypt, in the 1990s and today
- Egypt can stop its spiral toward radicalization - The Washington Post
- Syrian War Crimes: Regime Bombs Bakeries, Uses Starvation As Weapon | New Republic
- Crépuscule du pouvoir en Algérie
- Le métier d’intellectuel, un livre de Driss Ksikes et Fadma Aït Mous
New book on Moroccan intellectuals
- Aide’s Return to White House Reflects Changing U.S. Role in Middle East - NYTimes.com
- U.S. Steps Up Criticism of Russian Role in Syrian War - NYTimes.com
- Brewing Turkish Coffee: A Step-by-Step Guide
Nice illustrated guide by Brownbook
- Tunisia’s new constitution: progress and challenges to come | openDemocracy
Zaid al-Ali and Donia Ben Romdhane
- Convince, Coerce, or Compromise? Ennahda’s Approach to Tunisia’s Constitution | Brookings Institution
Monica Marks on Ennahda's internal politics.
- What was the thinking behind Libya’s transition? | THE DAILY STAR
Pete Cole urges patience.
- The Strategy of Egypt's Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis
Long War Journal's David Barnett
- The Egypt Effect: Sharpened Tensions, Reshuffled Alliances - Carnegie
Regional impact of July 3.
- Qatar’s leadership transition: like father, like son | ECFR
Andrew Hammond argues Qatar as Ikhwanophile as ever.
- An account of torture from Wadi al-Natrun prison | Mada Masr
- Cairobserver — Review: Ahdaf Soueif's Cairo
- Cairobserver — Second Print Edition of Cairobserver
- Luna of Cairo by Luna and Leela Corman - Narratively
Cute comic on life of foreign belly dancer in Cairo.
- Activist groups reject MB call to unite | Mada Masr
A (too) late apology from MB to revs.
- EU to grant Egypt €500 bn in aid | Egypt Independent
- U.S. Citizen Taken From His Apartment In Cairo By Egyptian Security Officials
- النائب العام يأمر بالتحقيق مع “بيبسي” بتهمة بث إعلانات تُحرض الشباب على التظاهر | ONA
Egypt Prosecutor orders investigation into Pepsi for ads encouraging youth to demonstrate
- Al-Qaeda made £50m from ransoms in 3 years, says British UN ambassador | Mail Online
- Priorities for Legislative Reform | Human Rights Watch
- The second death of Khaled Saeed | Mada Masr
On the eve of Jan 25, a look at the case and Facebook page that partly started it all
- Libya: Facing Economic Collapse in 2014
- EGYPT'S PRESIDENT: POLICE STATE HAS ENDED - AP
Happy new year, I guess.
- Dans l’oasis du Fayoum, au sud du Caire, les Frères musulmans rasent les murs
- Training Fighters of Future Across Gaza - NYTimes.com
- Does Egypt’s Vote Matter?
Ursula Lindsey on what the referendum signifies
- Democratic Republic of Zamalek
"Our official language will be a magical hybrid of Arabic, English and rural Filipino"
- Summary Of Egypt Aid Limits In The Omnibus Appropriations Bill
- A Recipe for Civil War? [PDF]
FRIDE's Kristina Kausch compares Egypt and Algeria
- Live updates: 98% of votes in 25 governorates in favour of draft constitution - Politics - Egypt - Ahram Online
Egyptian news site estimates approval rate
- Rumour and referendum in Egypt: Staying on side | The Economist
And another great one from Max Rodenbeck
- Voters come out after Imbaba blast | Mada Masr
A good story from Sarah Carr
- Keep Pollard Behind Bars - NYTimes.com
- Egypt’s Quest for Itself
Peter Harling and Yasser El Shimy.
- Arab gloom: This year can’t be as bad as the last | The Economist
Oh yes it can.
- No more negotiating | Mada Masr
An obituary for negotiations between the Brotherhood and the authorities
- Morocco launches process to normalize illegal immigrants
Hundreds of thousands of Sub-Saharan African immigrants hope to obtain residency
- Egypt Says 3 Journalists Will Be Held 15 More Days - NYTimes.com
- الحكم على «ماهينور المصري» و6 نشطاء آخرين بالحبس سنتين و50 ألف جنيه غرامة | أخبار الموجز
More April 6 activists sentenced to 2 years for protesting outside the Khaled Said trial in Alexandria
- A state in shackles | Mada Masr
Lina Atallah on the Egyptian state's self-damage
- Taking stock of 2013 | Mada Masr
The thoughts and concerns of journalists at a progressive local publication in Cairo
Last link dump of the year...
- West signals to Syrian opposition Assad may stay | Reuters
- To kill or not to kill: Army and politics in post-revolution Egypt - Al Jazeera English
- Preventing South Sudan’s Inferno - The Daily Beast
- Gabbling and Gobbling on the Nile | Jonathan Guyer
Thanksgiving in Cairo, featuring friends and colleagues of the Arabist
- Fighting in South Sudan: More accident than plot | The Economist
A strange so-called coup
- This Egyptian Constitution Poster Is A Total Disaster
Poster at press conferences misspells "Egyptians," features random white people from the internet
- Veritas Egypt
Bernard Kouchner attending what appears to be a pro-coup conference.
The latest in pseudo-NGO astroturf
- Questions on Drone Strike Find Only Silence - NYTimes.com
- Floundering in a mire of its own creation, the Saudi government is incapable of reform
- Why Egypt’s Army Is Bad At Doing Business
- Qaradawi’s War for Egypt
By WINEP mufti David Schenker - good example of Lobby/Gulf shared interests.
- forced to walk through sewage | In Gaza
Life in the Strip keeps getting worse.
Still more overdue links:
- A field guide to losing friends, influencing no one, and alienating the Middle East - Le Monde diplomatique
- مراسل إم بي سي ضحية التعذيب لـ«الضابط»: «أبوس رجلك اتعلمت الدرس»
Egyptian TV reporter arrested and tortured after argument with army officer
- Syrian Students Find a Haven in Rural Illinois
The Chronicle of Higher Education on Syrian students finding shelter at US universities
- Egypt's ousted president in high-security prison
After court session in which he insists he is still president
- U.S. Is Losing Advantage in Spying, Report Says - NYTimes.com
- Marvel Comics Introducing a Muslim Girl Superhero - NYTimes.com
- What to Make of Saudi Hand-Wringing - Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
Interesting piece by Fred Wehrey.