The basic goal of all Islamists, from Salafis to the Muslim Brotherhood, is the revival of Muslim society, and the reversal of the perceived decline it has been experiencing for several centuries. All Islamists agree that this decline occurred because of a shift from the original foundations of its greatness, Islam. Thus, they agree that revival means the re-Islamicization of society through ridding it of what they consider corrupting Western ideas, such as secularization.Hamas makes feature film about slain militant - Yahoo! News | "the screenplay was penned by Mahmoud Zahar, the Gaza strongman seen as one of the architects of the group's violent takeover of Gaza two years ago." It'd be nice if Zahar was referred to as Hamas' foreign minister, and also if wasn't such an idiot for spending money on this at this time. Who does he think he is, Saddam Hussein or Muammar Qadhafi? BBC NEWS | Middle East | Saudi 'genie' sued for harassment | About time that genies learn that they are not beyond the law. Boston Review — Helena Cobban: Peace Out | The decline of Israel's progressive movement, by Helena Cobban.
Links for February 17th through February 19th:
- Jazeera slams TV crackdown - FT on new satellite TV restrictions
- TelQuel : Avoir 20 ans à la campagne - Life for young people in the (extremely poor) Moroccan countryside
- Moscou accuse Paris de saborder le contrat des Mig - Algeria-Russia fracas over Mig contract; France suspected of meddling
- Pharaonic Pump Sits Idle as Egypt Fails to Lure Farms to Desert Bloomberg.com: Europe - Whatever happened to Toshka?
- Middle East Report Online: Disengagement and the Frontiers of Zionism by Darryl Li - "FROM BANTUSTAN TO INTERNMENT CAMP TO ANIMAL PEN"
- The BAE files | World news | guardian.co.uk - Guardian collection of articles on BAE case
- Hamas tells Egypt it is ready to discuss truce with Israel, Shalit deal - "Hamas said Friday it has told Egyptian officials it would consider a cease-fire with Israel if it lifted its blockade of the Gaza Strip and ceased military operations in the West Bank and Gaza."
- UN shocked by 'grim' life in Gaza - "80% of Gaza's 1.5m population now depended on food aid."