The exercise will test the Arrow (Hetz) system, the THAAD (Terminal High Altitude Area Defence), the ship-based Aegis Ballistic Missile Defence System, as well as Patriot and Hawk anti-aircraft systems, media said. It will simulate the firing of long-range missiles from Israel's foes Iran, Syria and Lebanon, and towards the end it will include a "live" missile interception, reports said.✪ Matthew Yglesias » Bernstein on Human Rights Watch | A good retort to the latest silly attack on HRW (by one of its former chairman) "or having the temerity to hold Israel to the same standards of international humanitarian law to which it holds every other country." But this just points to the problem of bias in the higher echelons of HRW - among former and current staffers. ✪ Almasry Alyoum | No Fly Zone | Nice story looking at the recent airport detentions of various kinds of activists. ✪ Almasry Alyoum | Pope Shenouda: "I Support Gamal Mubarak" | What a nasty little man, and what disservice he does to his flock. I hope Copts flee the Orthodox Church en masse over this. ✪ Arab states consider joint counter-terror police unit | "Arabpol." Oh Lord Have Mercy. ✪ Egyptcarpoolers | A carpooling connecting website for Cairo. ✪ Saddam Interview | Transcripts of interviews with Saddam Hussein during his captivity in 2004.
Automatically posted links for January 29th through February 3rd:
- Qatar reports new damage to Gulf undersea cables - Fourth time in a week - I think there's a conspiracy afoot
- Libya Sovereign Wealth Fund to Shun U.S., Ghanem Says - Qadhafi puts his country's money elsewhere
- Ezzedine Choukri: "?? ???? ????? ?? ????? ???? ??? ?" - Rafah episode shows current situation is losing one for all
- The path of centrist political Islam by Khalil Al-Anani - Al-Anani says MB hopeless, Wasat way forward
- Robert Fisk: The curious case of the forged biography - Fisk, hagiographer of Saddam Hussein
- Making a Great Arab City - I like this Rami Khouri piece on Dubai even though I am skeptical, because it praises the tradition of Arab cosmopolitan urbanism
- Arab Media Watch Arab Media Watch > Home - UK outfit combats anti-Arab bias in press
- Hamas explodes a giant hole in Egypt's political cover - Op-ed takes Egypt's hypocrisy on Palestine to task
- It's time to herald the Arabic science that prefigured Darwin and Newton - Faraday prize winner defends historic Arab scholarship
- For sale: West?s deadly nuclear secrets - Whistleblower says top US officials sold nuke secrets to Pakistan (the person is not named in the article, but others say it's Marc Grossman)
- Al-Jazeera Journalist Arrested in Egypt - Howeida Taha arrested, again
- AFP: Egypt censors book fair - Mohammed Choukri, Milan Kundera, Elias Khoury, Hanan al-Sheikh censored from Cairo Book Fair.
Automatically posted links for November 25th:
- Angry Arab on Eric's Hobsbawm's memoirs - "I have no emotional obligation to the practices of an ancestral religion and even less to the small, militarist, culturally disappointing and politically aggressive nation-state which asks for my solidarity on racial grounds."
- "If Annapolis fails, smash me," souvenir mug says - Brillant! I want one!
- King Hussein of Jordan | From the desert he rose | Economist.com - Review of Avi Schlaim's biography of King Hussein. Sounds rather too positive, but he was certainly an interesting man
- The absurd world of Martin Amis | Comment | The Observer - Funnyman Chris Morris slams into Amis, Hitchens
- The Political Compass - Pretty decent test of political values...
Automatically posted links for November 21st:
- Ù…Ø¬Ù…Ø¹ Ø§Ù„Ø¨ØÙˆØ« Ø§Ù„Ø¥Ø³Ù„Ø§Ù…ÙŠØ© ÙŠÙˆØ§Ù�Ù‚ Ø¹Ù„ÙŠ Ù†Ø´Ø± Â«Ø§Ù„Ø¥Ø³Ù„Ø§Ù… Ù‡Ùˆ Ø§Ù„ØÙ„Â» ÙˆÙƒØªØ¨ Ø¥Ø®ÙˆØ§Ù†ÙŠØ© Ù„Ù€Â«Ø§Ù„Ø¨Ù†Ø§Â» ÙˆÂ«Ù…Ø´Ù‡ÙˆØ±Â» - Egypt Islamic council authorizes publication of Ikhwan publications - this will have the conspiracy theorists going!
- "U.S. Seeks to Prosecute Pulitzer Prize Winning A.P. Photographer" by Scott Horton (Harper's Magazine) - Pentagon to put AP photog on trial on dubious charges
- Ø®Ù„Øµ ! :: Ù…Ù† Ù†ØÙ† - Khalass! campaign in Lebanon, civil society urges politicians to resolve differences
- Beirut Is Not Tehran - Exum and McInerney on why the US should change policy in Lebanon
- Space Age Wudu - Ablution device from the future
- FT.com / World - Sharif hopes to end Saudi exile - Saudis pushing for Sharif as PM in Pakistan, against US wishes
- Islamists Today: Brotherhood Youth: A time bomb - Khalil al-Anani on the generational divide in the MB
- YouTube - Musharraf's crackdown on media - Al Jazeera report on crackdown on press, possible UAE collaboration
- Meeting Resistance: A film by Steve Connors & Molly Bingham - Movie about the Iraqi underground, has insider footage of insurgent cells