Baher Mohammed, Al Jazeera English producer who has know been in detention for four months now: "I want to bow before all those who are fighting for freedom of expression, a free press, and an end to our detention."
On 27 January — compare to yesterday's. The policy for the state press has changed from ignoring the situation to scaremongering about chaos.
The state press
Al Ahram: "Four dead and 118 wounded among the protestors; 162 policemen wounded and 100 arrests in Cairo and the governorates"
Al Akhbar: "Protests in Cairo and Suez; Minister of Interior has banned protests"
Al Gomhouriya: "Security forces will firmly face any attempt to break the law and spread unrest"
Rose al-Youssef: "In an exclusive interview, the Minister of Interior affirms that the Egyptian state is not fragile. This regime is supported by millions of Egyptians and a few thousand protestors will not destabilize it."
The private press
Al Masri Al Youm: "Protestors and police hold to their positions for the second day of protests"
Al Shorouk: "Gratuitous violence and excessive police brutality"
Al Wafd: "Change is the solution"
Nahdet Misr: "The protestors are right to be angry"
Editor Magdy Gallad calls on presidency to allow independent press to cover the presidency and be given the access the state press has been given.
- CAB Advised To Audit Independent Newspapers - al-Masri al-Youm English story on a decision to have government accounting office audit independent newspaper. Is seen as an attack on freedom of the press, could provide pretexts for newspapers to be shut down or financially pressured
- 25 Al-Azhar University Students Detained Wednesday Dawn - Latest crackdown on Islamist students at al-Azhar, who in the past few months have staged sit-ins to protest the exclusion of some Islamist from the university and its dorms. MB leaders I've spoken to recently said it is becoming more difficult for them t
- Le Monde.fr : RSF rÃ©compense le blogueur Ã©gyptien Kareem Amer, emprisonnÃ© pour quatre ans - Reporters Without Borders gives Karim Amer its annual prize
- Tunisia's Ben Ali promises more democracy - METimes.com - And I promise you the moon is made of solid gold
- Shatah?An Egyptian Cleric Adored By Muslims And Americans, Unheard Of In Egypt - al-Masri al-Youm profiles up-and-coming Egyptian imam in Amreeka who is Amr Khaled fan
- Islamists Today: The Autumn of Arab Islamists - Khalil al-Anani continues to see Islamists on the decline
- Changes in Guantanamo Bay SOP manual (2003-2004) - Wikileaks - Comparison in leaked 2003 and 2004 Guantanamo Bay Standard Operating Procedures has evidence of abuses