To quote the frm sec of state (I am citing and translating her quotes from Hashish's article):
- "We cannot impose from outside - every country has to implement a democracy that suits it"
- "How do you [Egypt] make a viable opposition that will be popular. We want to support such a movement but how do we do that and not take away from its legitmacy?"
- "Is it possible to support a opposition movement withoutÂ internally destabilizing?"
- "We have the tools to help. How do we do it without imposing [reform?]. There are many ways to help that don't have to look like they come from America"
- "Democracy creates stability and authoritarianism creates instability." (here she is quoting Clinton)
- "Egypt is a mediator and relations with the US go up and down. But they are important. No one denies that Egypt is regionally important. It is significant because of its relationship with America, its relations in the Arab-Israel conflict, and broker role with other Arab states."
We are all lucky to have Hashish's insightful record of the meeting.