Links from my del.icio.us account for October 31st through November 1st:
- Saudi angle on U.S. elections - Bernard Heykal comments on MESH, suggesting Riyadh may prefer McCain, notably because of the Republicans highly personal and anti-institutional Gulf diplomacy.
- Comments from Jihad Makdissi - Interesting tidbits on Syria Comment in an email by Syrian press attaché in London, covering the recent US raid into Syria, attitudes towards peace negotiations and more.
- Fires on the Nile, Dark Clouds Over Egypt - Forward.com" - John Bradley, of "Egypt on the brink of revolution" fame, writes in the Forward that US presidential candidates should pay more attention to Egypt.
- Gaza Journal - For Conflict’s Widows, Hamas Recruits an Army of New Husbands - NYTimes.com - Hamas marries off war widows to single fighters: “Marriage is the same as jihad,” or holy war, said Muhammad Yousef, one recently married member of the Qassam Brigades, the Hamas underground. “With marriage, you are producing another generation that believes in resistance.”
- Survey: shows McCain beating Obama in Israel - International Herald Tribune - Israeli-Americans for McCain over Obama by three-to-one.