Links from my del.icio.us account for January 13th through January 14th:
- Egyptian chronicles: This is Not Al Jazeera - Not for US media consumption, but on the UK's Channel 4: "So what's happening is that you are finding starving children next to their dead mothers?"
- Naomi Klein: Enough. It's time for a boycott of Israel | Comment is free | The Guardian - Call for boycott of Israel modelled on the anti-apartheid movement.
- Stuff Egyptian People Like - It had to happen...
- Al Jazeera Creative Commons Repository - Al Jazeera makes its feed available for others to use.
- Stanley Heller: Why It's Useless to Lobby Congress on Gaza - A list of suggestions to picket and boycott Israel and its supporters in America, which includes the idea of boycotting Egypt@
- U.S. rabbis urge Obama to push for immediate Gaza truce - Haaretz - Israel News - In America, the sensible and humanist Jewish religious leadership is locked out of the debate on Israel: "Rabbi Michael Lerner, Editor of Tikkun magazine, who convened the group, said the group had to buy the advertising space because the national newspapers would not make room for their perspective.
- Quand l’extrême-droite scandinave soutient Israël - Ibn Kafka has a good post on the alignment of the European far-right on a pro-Israel line. What could be more normal: fascists and their intellectual heirs stick together. Zionism - a European supremacist nationalism for Jews - is a fascism (is there, one wonders, a more militarized society than Israel today?)
- Rice Discusses Resolution 1850, Egyptian Initiative and Humanitarian Crisis - Rice's UN speech: 100% pro-Israel, 100% of the time, 0% mention of civilian carnage in Gaza.
- The New Yorker - Is it just me or isn't strange that The New Yorker has had absolutely no commentary on the war in Gaza? Has Israel apologist David Remnick decided he can't quite stomach this one (and can't get Jeffrey Goldberg to do it for him anymore?) The top headline on the website is a review of "Che" at the moment...
- Amira Hass / Gazans doing their best to avoid becoming death statistics - Haaretz - Israel News - This is usually called ethnic cleansing: "The military is steadily forcing the areas known as "population concentrations" to move inward, "clearing" areas on the periphery - first the agricultural land, and now the neighborhoods bordering them - and pushing people into an increasingly smaller territory. "
- Thank You Jon Stewart - Site to send a message to the Daily Show's Jon Stewart to think him for speaking out on Gaza.
- No Shortage of Expert Advice on Mideast for Clinton - NYTimes.com - Gentiles not welcome here.
- Extraordinaires Norvégiens: grève de sympathie avec Gaza, prix Nobel de la paix à Peres remis en cause - Ibn Kafka talks about Sweden's solidary with Gaza, notably a two-minute pause by the train labor unions in solidarity with Israel's victims, a 40,000-man demo, and discussions on whether Shimon Peres should return his 1994 Nobel Peace Prize.