Links from my del.icio.us account for May 16th:
- Mondoweiss: Landmark study finds Israeli control in occupied territories 'a breach of the prohibition of apartheid' - South Africa study calls Israeli policies apartheid, colonialism.
- Chain Reaction - Cirincione, writing against a US-UAE nuclear deal. He needs to inform himself about the role of the nuclear lobby in the US in pushing these deals, as well as the counterproliferation technology and practices the US wants to push as part of its GNEP initiative.
- Muslim Brotherhood Falters as Egypt Outflanks Islamists - WSJ.com - On the pushback against the Ikhwan.
- Daily News Egypt - DEMOCRACY PROMOTION RECONSIDERED - Joseph Nye.
- Fear thy neighbour - The National Newspaper - "The GCC states are not unique in this regard: they occupy a structural position exactly equivalent to that of America’s Western European allies in the Cold War. During times of crisis between the United States and the USSR, the Western Europeans usually counselled restraint and diplomacy, afraid to have a third world war conducted on their continent. But during periods of detente between the superpowers, the allies worried that they did not have a seat at the table as American presidents and Soviet leaders made their deals. The Cold War quip was that the only thing that the Western Europeans feared more than superpower hostility was superpower peace."