Here are the latest links, and also my collected Wikileaks tweets (mostly from the evening they were released.) I had a look at the Wikileaks database and there are still over 2700 more Embassy Cairo cables that will be released, including some probably containing info about Mubarak's health etc.) Wikipedia's trickle is unbearable...
- TALES OF A PRINCE
A very anodyne cable about a Saudi prince in Jeddah, his cheapness, and Prince Charles.
- Wikileaks: Israel tried to plan Cast Lead with Egypt, PA
Ehud Barak in Dec. 08 asked Egypt, PA, to take control of Gaza "once Hamas was defeated" in Cast Lead.
- gary's choices - Wikileaks, Iran and War
Gary Sick on Iran, the US and Cablegate.
- Light rail. Heavy losses.
Interesting post on China taking loss in Saudi railway project. Loss leader?
- Egypt's Weakness on Display in Elections - Council on Foreign Relations
Steve Cook on the Egyptian elections - a display of weakness. And for Washington too.
- Egypt's Parliamentary Elections
Weak statement by State Dept on Egypt elections end on conciliatory note.
- FT.com / Middle East / Politics & Society - Comment: Egypt’s ‘as if’ election lays ground for succession
Roula Khalaf: Egypt showed progress is fully reversible and political openings can be closed.
- Today, is Egypt Honored, or Humiliated? Asharq Alawsat Newspaper (English)
Sharq al-Awsat toad defends Egypt after elections.
- Egypt's elections: Some skilful rigging | The Economist
The Economist on Egypt's elections: For the smoothest possible transition, [Mubaarak] needs the tamest possible parliament.
- Assad: we have better analysts
Bashar Assad tells US Syrian counter-terrorism is superior because their analysts are better.
- The Race to Fix the Classification System
Secrecy News on how the USG is reorganizing its classification system.
- Mohammad Badie on Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood - Newsweek
What a weird headline for this interview of MB Guide Badie.
Also, my tweets and retweets on Cablegate (follow me on Twitter @arabist):
- Siniora to Petraeus, Jul 09: Lebanon can be a "model" for region. WTF? http://arb.st/fAZ4Mh
- Here's one where Suleiman pushes for Israel to regularly open Gaza crossings http://arb.st/ffDylm
- Asad: US must restart indirect Turkish-brokered talks with Israel.http://arb.st/ibOvLU I really get the sense that "flip Syria" lives
- Qatar PM: Egypt "has no end game; serving as broker of the talks is Egypt's only business interest with the U.S. http://arb.st/ecWk2e
- RT @abuaardvark Wikileaks and the Arab public sphere, my first thoughts on the document release http://bit.ly/ho9Rph
- Netanyahu sees Goldstone as top threat alongside Iran and missiles. http://arb.st/gxYnFD #CableGate
- Briefing to SecState, 1979: "Perhaps the single dominant aspect of the persian psyche is an overriding egoism" http://arb.st/fFcmm0
- OK this one on Qadhafi's eccentricities is pure gold:http://arb.st/hcOho2
- Gamal on Bashar: Better than his dad, but shouldn't liberalize.http://arb.st/h7yUyo
- On Iraq, Mubarak "advised strengthening the military and allowing a 'fair' dictator to come to power via a coup." http://arb.st/h7yUyo
- Omar Suleiman to Petraeus: we will keep recruiting agents in Iran who "will do what we ask." http://arb.st/eQ4kwy #cablegate
- Accurate RT @Takhouar: The king [...] appears to take little interest in governing. http://arb.st/h5HfRp #morocco
- Here's a #Wikileaks cable about Omar Suleiman promising to crack down on Hamas by Cairo Embassy DCM in 2008.http://arb.st/gfL0oU