Long overdue, a mix of flotilla related stuff and other things.
- مصر لا تمتلك نسخة من الاتفاقيات التي تمنع دول حوض النيل من إقامة المشروعات المائية | الدستور
Egypt has "lost" its copies of 1929 and 1952 Nile water treaties and is asking the UK for copies. #epicfail
- Israel expects U.S. to deflect outcry over flotilla
Tel Aviv counting on Washington.
- The flotilla fiasco
I cannot believe how lame, biased and unashamedly pro-Israel the WaPo's editorial is.
- 'Next time we'll use more force'
Says Israeli Navy commander.
- Turkish PM calls Israeli ship raid a 'massacre'
"We will not turn our back on Palestine, Palestinians and Gaza."
- Israelis must speak up for Gaza activists | Daphna Baram | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk
At least one Israeli speaks out.
- My resignation from @AlMasryAlYoum_E « 3arabawy
The entire senior staff of al-Masri al-Youm English has left.
- Operation Mini Cast Lead - Haaretz
Gideon Levy: same false claims about who started it, self-defense, focus on PR, etc. as in Cast Lead.
- Turkey has become the true champion of Palestine - The National Newspaper
- Gaza: From blockade to bloodshed | Editorial | Comment is free | The Guardian
Guardian editorial (the official one!) says Israel is a pariah state.
- International campaign preparing new aid flotilla to Gaza
- What Could They Have Been Thinking?: Initial Thoughts on the Gaza Flotilla | Stephen M. Walt
Walt says this is a test for Obama as well as US pro-Israel community.
- The Associated Press: Wife: Israel sending American on seized ship home
Former US ambassador Edward Peck and former USS Liberty serviceman Joe Meadors were on flotilla.
- Klein: ‘These boats were like the messages passed between prison bars’
Naomi Klein speaks out.
- Twitter / Mohamed ElBaradei:
"The Israeli agression on the Freedom Flotilla exposes an inhumane regime, a blot on Arab conscience. Open the crossings immediately."
- Middle East Report Online: Outlaws of the Mediterranean, From the Editors
"Once again, Israel has made the asymmetry of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict crystal clear."
- Israeli Raid Exacerbates Regional Tensions and Threatens Peace Process - Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
The Carnegie gang reacts — basically, Obama needs to start focusing on Gaza and choose between world opinion and Israel.
- Israeli version of events doesn’t pass laugh test
Israel's version of Gaza flotilla murders doesn't make sense.
- AFP: A stone's throw from Nile, Egypt's taps are running dry
Egypt's water management crisis.
- Extremist makeover - The National Newspaper
On Rima Fakih, Miss USA/Hizbullah...
- FT.com - Libya reform champion faces family battle
- FT.com - Hizbollah opens military theme park
“This is about the history of the resistance, it is our Louvre."
- Muslim preacher of hate is let into Britain - Times Online
If the Brits haven't learnt their lessons from allowing extremist preachers now, they never will.
- Lives - Engagement in Cairo - NYTimes.com
From a friend's forthcoming book.
- Gulf of Mexico not the only waters clouded by oil spill
Impact of BP disaster on Middle East oil decision-making.
- Algeria and Morocco: Open that border | The Economist
On the reasons behind that closed border.
- Moroccan Judaism Second International Symposium
There are around 1,100,000 Jews from Morocco scattered around the world.
- Special Operations in Yemen | The Middle East Channel
I missed this piece by Sheila Carapico.
- AP News: Millions face hunger in arid belt of Africa
Famine looms in the Sahel.
- Hell in the Islamic Republic - NYT
Roger Cohen on a new book on Iran's repression.
- "Last exit" curtails Palestinian highway access (Reuters)
Can't use highway to Ramallah.
- The balance of power in south Lebanon | Jordan Times