- Are Palestinians Building a State? Nathan Brown says not really, and: “To the extent that Fayyadism is building institutions, it is unmistakably doing so in an authoritarian context.”
- A Little Rain on the Palestinian Parade Just to be sure Brown says again: no. "Fayyad is not building a state, he's holding down the fort until the next crisis."
- It's Not the Economy, Stupid Michele Dunne: "Washington should stop impeding reconciliation and providing an excuse to Fatah and Hamas to avoid the necessary compromises."
Meanwhile, Obama made up with his best-buddy Bibi:
[PRIME MINISTER NETANYAHU:] One final point, Mr. President -- I want to thank you for reaffirming to me in private and now in public as you did the longstanding U.S. commitments to Israel on matters of vital strategic importance. I want to thank you, too, for the great hospitality you and the First Lady have shown Sara and me and our entire delegation. And I think we have to redress the balance -- you know, I’ve been coming here a lot. It’s about time --PRESIDENT OBAMA: I'm ready.PRIME MINISTER NETANYAHU: -- you and the First Lady came to Israel, sir.PRESIDENT OBAMA: We look forward to it. Thank you.PRIME MINISTER NETANYAHU: Any time.
- The Shifting Sands of State Power in the Middle East
Alaistair Crooke. [PDF]
- Lebanon: Garden of thorns | The Economist
Michael Young and David Hirst's books on Lebanon reviewed.
- Youth Identity in the Arab World
This is insightful in places but cliched in others.
- RIP: Nasr Abu Zayd
Brian Whitaker reminisces on Nasr Hamid Abou Zayd.
- B'Tselem: Settlements occupy 42 percent of West Bank - The Majlis
- Un-Inspired — jihadica
Hegghammer says al-Qaeda's "Inspire" English mag is irrelevant.
- Nasr Hamed Abu Zaid: The end of a controversial scholarly legacy | Al-Masry Al-Youm
Takfir victim and revisionist Islamic intellectual obit.
- Rupert Murdoch takes stake in rival to al-Jazeera | Media | The Guardian
Interesting — Murdoch and Walid Bin Talal backing new channel headed by (the occasionally critical) Jamal Khashoggi
- FT.com / Middle East - Egyptian TV talk shows test limit of freedom
Article raises good point about explosion of TV debate.
- FT.com / Middle East - Libya hints at taking stake in BP
Ironic - BP was instrumental in lifting the sanctions on Libya.
- Darrell Issa Emerges as Obama’s Annoyer-in-Chief - NYTimes.com
This Arab-American Republican sometimes defends the regimes, but never the people.
- UN following reports of forcible transfers of Palestinians from East Jerusalem
Transfer is already underway.
- BP's Hayward flies to Mideast to meet 'partners'
Looking for a bailout?
- Wonk Room » The Reality Is That Many In GOP Support Israeli Settlements And Oppose Two-State Solution
US conservatives don't believe in two states.
- Fadlallah's Inspiring Life
Fawning obit from Rami Khouri.
- Netanyahu’s Warning to America: Palestinian Statehood Will Lead to “Second Mexico” Inside U.S.