- Rory Stewart · Because we weren’t there?: In Tripoli · LRB 22 September 2011
- Poverty and illiteracy on the rise in Egypt: new study - Ahram Online
Increased in last five years.
- Blogger Maikel Nabil health deteriorating in prison - Ahram Online
24 days on hunger strike.
- Unprecedented: Copts seeking divorce "resign" Orthodox Church - Ahram Online
- Egyptian protester "Sambo" sentenced to five years
- Jerome Slater: On the US and Israel: The Palmer Commission Report
Analysis of a whitewash.
- Syria's stalemate raises the spectre of civil war | Brian Whitaker | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk
Syria's stalemate raises the spectre of civil war -- Brian Whitaker via @guardian
- Angry activists say Turkey handed deserted officer to Syria - CNN.com
Syrians are furious about this RT @hallak: Angry activists say Turkey handed deserted officer to Syria #cnn
- Egyptian steel tycoon Ezz sentenced to 10 years - Politics - Egypt - Ahram Online
Egyptian steel tycoon #Ezz sentenced to 10 years via @ahramonline
- Shift in Sinai security strategy must include crackdown on torture camps | Al-Masry Al-Youm: Today's News from Egypt
Shift in #Sinai security strategy must include crackdown on torture camps #Smuggling #Egypt
- Egyptian Muslim Sisterhood and a new historic testimony - Opinion - Ahram Online
Egyptian Muslim Sisterhood and a new historic testimony via @ahramonline
- Fearing a repeat of Cairo's 9/9 protest, Israel evacuates its embassy in Amman: report - Region - World - Ahram Online
Fearing a repeat of Cairo Isreal evacuates Jordan embassy via @ahramonline
- Nieman Reports | Morocco and Press Freedom: A Complicated Relationship
- Conflict in Israel? : CJR
More questions about the NYT's Ethan Bronner.
- Stephen Glain on US Militarism | FiveBooks | The Browser
Looking forward to Glain's book...
- Monocolumn – UN Palestine vote – Creating a state of discontent [Monocle]
- Nieman Reports | Egyptian Journalism: An Oddly Connected Mix of Old and New Media
- Sultan al-Qassemi & Jane Kinninmont: Financial Developments after the Arab Spring | Chatham House: Independent thinking on international affairs
great interviewee for our first MENAP podcast :) MT @CH_MENAP the wonderful @SultanAlQassemi on Arab Spring economics
- MOROCCO: Demands for Autonomy Spread - IPS
Among intellectuals and Berber activists, that is.
- Tunisia is leading the way on women's rights in the Middle East | Brian Whitaker | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk
Tunisia has become the first country in the region to withdraw all its specific reservations regarding #Cedaw
- Tony Judt's Final Word on Israel - Merav Michaeli - International - The Atlantic
Tony Judt's Final Word on Israel Exclusive for @TheAtlantic: Judt's last-ever interview on Israel
- Commander of the Wealthy | KABOBfest
On King Muhammad VI of Morocco.
- Trailer: Some of My Best Friends Are Zionists on Vimeo
- Majority supports constitutional amendments | Jordan Times
Pretty remarkable - only 38% of Jordanians are "aware" of the king's proposed constitutional amendments: #reformJO
- 7 أسباب للزعل - فهمي هويدي - مقالات وأعمدة - جريدة الشروق
Fahmi Howeidy on Jazeera and Egypt MT @maegdi: : Accreditation of correspondents still in hands of Mubarak apparatchiks
- How Google Translate Works | Best of the Moment | The Browser
How Google Translate Works: some fascinating detail from @theindynews #tech #google
- The intra-Turkish debate on the Mavi Marmara - Hurriyet
Very cool web automation tool.
- Embassy Leaks: Israel’s Fallen Egyptian Friends | Al Akhbar English
Akhbar publishes details on embassy docs.
- AP: Egypt's ex-spy chief testifies in Mubarak trial
Omar Suleiman talks but we don't know what he said.
- Coptic Church sues government over New Year's Eve church bombing | Al-Masry Al-Youm: Today's News from Egypt
Coptic Church sues government over New Year's Eve church bombing #Egypt #Copts
- علم وخبر | الأخبار
Al-Akhbar daily reports: Bashar al-Assad appoints Assef Shawkat as deputy defense minister #syria