My latest al-Masri al-Youm column, "In Sinai, Egypt must be tough but fair", is up. It's about the need for a different approach to Sinai's tribal politics.
I'll be in Geneva over the weekend for the International Institute of Strategic Studies' Global Strategic Review. I'll be taking part in a talk on Egypt and another one on the Arab spring, along with Sultan Qassemi, Karim Sadjapour, Emile Hokayem and other noted writers on Middle Eastern politics. We'll also be tweeting the whole thing with the tag #IISS_GSR.
- Why Palestinians can't recognize a 'Jewish state' - Haaretz
By Hassan Jabareen of Adalah.
- Worst move ever? J Street opposes Palestinian statehood
- Arab spring gets only fraction of funds - FT.com
- Algeria, revolutionary in name only
- Egypt provides 30% of Benghazi’s electricity
- US cable tells of Israel’s ‘harsh measures’ « P U L S E
"a premeditated effort by the Israeli army to use force against peaceful demonstrators"
- Libyan regime warns of graft legal action
Against local and foreigners. Plus: first use of word "regime" for new govt?
- Gestapo clones
- Army Chief of Staff meets with American intelligence official
- Will Egypt's Activists Boycott the Election?
Marc Lynch makes the case against an electoral boycott in Egypt.
- BBC News - Hardtalk - Amr Moussa: Egypt can be 'the engine' for democracy'
(But probably not if Moussa is prsident…)
- Lebanese blogger denied Egypt entry - Bikya Masr
- SYRIA: Death of popular Sunni cleric stirs unrest in Aleppo - latimes.com
- Jobs Will Follow a Strengthening of the Middle Class - NYTimes.com
Check out the chart here.
- SYRIE • L’intellectuel qui a déçu la révolution | Courrier international
Sinan Antoon takes on Adonis.
- Textile workers to go on strike in Egypt's largest factory
In Mahalla next Saturday. Politicos need to stop bickering on TV and make the link with these ppl.
- The Kuffiyeh is Arab « P U L S E
- Asalah : une authentique révolte ?
- FT.com / Middle East & North Africa - Colossal task ahead for Libya’s new oil chief
- Sudan confiscates pro-opposition paper - Sudan Tribune: Plural news and views on Sudan
Sudan confiscates pro-opposition paper
- (500) http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/report-documents-expose-u-s-wiretaps-on-israeli-officials-in-washington-1.382827
Report: Documents expose #U.S. #wiretaps of #Israeli officials in #Washington