My latest column for The National, on Egypt's presidential race and its political context, is here. I'm on a trip, so there will be very little posting in the next few days.
- Transcript of round 1: Mousa vs Fotouh Debate #monazarat | moftasa.net
- Syria Comment » Archives » Main Pillars of the Syrian Regime Collapsing
- Syria Crisis: A Firsthand Look at a Devastated Country | PRI's The World
Great piece on Aboul Fotouh.
Tunisia: Combating Impunity, Restoring Security -- another good ICG report
- Egypt gets US$1 bn from Saudis, clearing IMF hurdle | Egypt Independent
- AP: Polls open in Algeria elections amid voter apathy
- Egypt presidential elections to proceed as planned, SPEC says - Ahram Online
- Egypt Launches Security Operation to Purge Sinai of Militants - Businessweek
- Egypt candidates deride vote committee suspension | Reuters
- The MB And Female Circumcision/FGM
Left a comment there.
- Egypt Court Challenges Election Commission Over Law - Bloomberg
More legal twists and turns.
- It's not just why Heglig, but why now? - Opinion - Al Jazeera English
- Egypt's "blessed" Salafi Votes - By Khalil al-Anani | The Middle East Channel
Salafis and Aboul Fotouh.
- Egyptians Remain Optimistic, Embrace Democracy and Religion in Political Life | Pew Global Attitudes Project
- François Hollande propose que "la dette tunisienne soit convertie sous forme de don par la communauté internationale"
- Mubarak Still Has His Billions - IPS ipsnews.net
- Morocco minister won't stop trial of YouTube rapper - chicagotribune.com
- The Emperor Has No Clothes: Palestinians and the End of the Peace Process - International Crisis Group
- Fatah says Cairo meetings with Hamas over reconciliation failed | Egypt Independent
You don't say.
- Abouel Fotouh calls former regime figures' candidacies 'effrontery' | Egypt Independent
- Saudi financial aid to Egypt will continue: Minister - Economy - Business - Ahram Online
- Egyptian Chronicles: Is not this conflict of Interest ?
- ‘Voting Early’: Kamel Daoud on Algeria’s Legislative Elections (Translation) | The Moor Next Door
Does God Permit a Muslim to Break a Promise? « A Sense of Belonging
Religious opinions on the MB's reversal on contesting the presidency.
- Egypt's Brotherhood Gains in Presidential Opinion Poll - Businessweek
I expect the MB's upward trend will continue.
- Saudi Arabia's quandary
- From Abroad, Trying to Mold a Post-Assad Syria - NYTimes.com
On Syrian MB.
- Egypt heavily in debt for natural gas - The National
- North Africa's Berbers get boost from Arab Spring - seattlepi.com
- Disarmament Sparks Violence in South Sudan - IPS ipsnews.net
- Congressman Endorses Apartheid, Ethnic Cleansing for Palestinians - Robert Wright - International - The Atlantic
- Egypt's Mishandling of Sinai Could Risk Unwanted Confrontation With Israel - Steven A. Cook - The Atlantic
He's right- Egypt has to get Sinai under control ASAP or the issue becomes internationalized.
- Egypt Offers $662 Million of T-Bills as Saudi Aid Nears Arrival - Bloomberg
- CSF conscripts on mutiny « 3arabawy
- Egypt bans foreign embassy personnel from checking passports in airports
To my knowledge only Israel did this for Cairo-Tel Aviv flights.