Last link dump of the year...
- West signals to Syrian opposition Assad may stay | Reuters
- To kill or not to kill: Army and politics in post-revolution Egypt - Al Jazeera English
- Preventing South Sudan’s Inferno - The Daily Beast
- Gabbling and Gobbling on the Nile | Jonathan Guyer
Thanksgiving in Cairo, featuring friends and colleagues of the Arabist
- Fighting in South Sudan: More accident than plot | The Economist
A strange so-called coup
- This Egyptian Constitution Poster Is A Total Disaster
Poster at press conferences misspells "Egyptians," features random white people from the internet
- Gaza floods force thousands to flee their homes - PhotoBlog
- Gaza mental health pioneer dies aged 70
- Catastrophe for Gaza
A 2008 op-ed by Dr. Eyad Sarraj, who just passed away
- keef keef | Inanities
Sarah Carr on Tunis
- British and German couple 'held in Egypt without charge' for a month | World news | The Guardian
More disturbing rogue ineptitude from the Egyptian police
- Tunisia's Transition Continues
Some progress, but still long to go.
- Dispatch from Iran: Ruffled feathers | The Economist
Military grumbles about Rouhani.
- Karl reMarks: Six Kalīlah wa Dimnah Tales: Thinly-Veiled Arab Spring Fables
- What role does the Palestinian question play in global jihad? « jihadica
- Egypt’s third constitution in three years: A critical analysis
al-Ali: reflects "tribe-like mentality" of state institutions
- Egypt police 'inflict pain like it's an art' | MinnPost
More Khaled Saids.
- BBC Radio 4 - The Making of the Modern Arab World, Episode 1
A new documentary by Tarek Osman
- Snowden and Snooping
Chas Freeman on the NSA
- ASA Members Vote To Endorse Academic Boycott of Israel | American Studies Association
Read the testimonials.
- Brothers’ bloc defeated in Doctors Syndicate elections | Mada Masr
- Segregation:our secular values need to be protected | Observer editorial | Comment is free | The Observer
- Egypt prosecutor targets father of boy arrested over pro-Mursi ruler: lawyer | Reuters
That's "ruler" as in measuring tool. Really.
- Former Rep. Jim Kolbe (R-Ariz.): Congress Should Not Weaken US Law on Military Coups
(because of Egypt)
- How Egypt’s Gen. al-Sisi Won TIME’s Person of the Year Poll
Ashraf Khalil looks at the Egyptian news sites that pushed the poll
- Making an example - Mada Masr
On the teenage girls given severe jail sentencse for pro-MB protest
- Syrian Refugees Illegally Pushed Back
from Greece, Italy, Egypt
- Profiteers become another obstacle to peace in Syria
Civil war economy is good for some
- Syria dispatch: from band of brothers to princes of war
On the transformation of Syrian militias
- ‘The near future of Iraq is dark’: Warning from Muqtada al-Sadr
Shia cleric warns country could "disintegrate"
- Iraq: Wave of Journalist Killings | Human Rights Watch
Iraqi journalists enjoying that democracy we promised them
- Full translation of Egypt's draft 2013 constitution
- Egypt’s Sisi Wins Reader Poll for TIME Person of the Year
More Sisi mania
- In Taking Jobs, Women Take On a Saudi Taboo
On the growing # of Saudi women in the retail sector
- U.S. State Department monitoring Shezanne Cassim's case
Man jailed in UAE for making a funny YouTube video
- Saudi government bans Arabic science fiction novel, raids bookstores
Jinn are in the Koran, so why is writing about them the basis for censorship?
- Coming Soon: Learning from Cairo
Book launch Saturday Dec 7: http://learningfromcairo.org
- Update: Alaa Abd El Fattah arrested, being held at CSF barracks
- Saudi Arabia's foreign labour crackdown drives out 2m migrants
- Syria's Palestinian refugees: No place to call home | The Economist
- Muslim Brotherhood female protesters given 11 year prison sentences
Some of these girls are 15 years old. Shameful.
- What’s Behind the Wave of Terror in the Sinai
Vivian Salama gives history and interesting details
- SCAF planned Mohamed Mahmoud killings, Brotherhood claims
So MB says it accepted SCAF orders then?
- Muslim Brotherhood financing attacks: Egypt minister
- Egypt's latest charm offensive. Journalists to sample the delights of military democracy