Long overdue as it's been a busy and hence slow blogging week. And the podcast will be back soon, we promise!
- Obama and the Palestinians: Less than impressed
- It’s a Charity! It’s a Movement! It’s the Muslim Brotherhood! - NYTimes.com
My latest for Latitude.
- Egyptian Women Blamed for Sexual Assaults - NYTimes.com
- Syrian refugees in Lebanon: And still they come | The Economist
- The Unbelievable Photos Taken by the Crazy Russians Who Illegally Climbed Egypt's Great Pyramid
Lucky bastards. But still bastards.
- IMF signals push to scrap energy subsidies - FT.com
Worldwide worth $1.9tn, Egypt among worst.
- Egypt: It’s the politics, stupid | The Economist
Sharp editorial urging national unity government.
- Lebanon: Be careful | The Economist
On the dangers lurking behind Mikati's resignation.
- Losses in union elections mean Brotherhood faces tough choices - Ahram Online
Another excellent Houdaiby piece.
- Egypt’s economy: Going to the dogs | The Economist
- Syria's Shiites offer different picture of war - latimes.com
Fear of Sunni repression.
- A Glimpse Of Post-Assad Syria? Inside Aleppo's New Islamic Justice Committees - All News Is Global |
- Gaza Reporters Boycott Forum On Hamas' New Laws for Media - Al-Monitor
- Egypt’s Constitution Swings Into Action - By Zaid Al-Ali and Nathan J. Brown | The Middle East Channel
Important details here prez-PM balance.
- In Syria, America’s fractured hopes - The Washington Post
On fear of MB rise in Syria
- Wasat Party leader says 'thugs' remarks out of context | Egypt Independent
Not sure to believe al-Madi here.
- Washington’s Undemocratic Bet on the Brotherhood | Atlantic Council
Strong attack of US policy by Amr Hamzawy.
- Caution, Curves Ahead in Syria - NYTimes.com
Thomas Friedman making excellent arguments here.
- Shura Council approves Saudi loan, despite Salafi anger | Egypt Independent
- Egypt press syndicate accuses presidency of 'intimidating' journalists - Politics - Egypt - Ahram Online
- Egypt Top Prosecutor Orders Arrest of 5 Activists - ABC News
Public prosecutor's summons is like a who's who of Egyptian progressives.
- Ingérences et manipulations au Soudan
- Al-Moqattam Clashes in Photos
- Libya to give Egypt US$2 bn; Egypt to extradite ex-officials | Egypt Independent
- Iraq: ten years of hubris and incompetence | openDemocracy
- Morocco Islamists struggle with coalition rule
Good overview and use of "Egyptianize"
- Manal and Alaa: A love story | Lena Merhej | GRANDPAPIER
Sweet comic by @lenamerhej about love on the digital front lines of the revolution in Egypt
- Cervantès se meurt à Tanger
On the Cervantes Theater.
- Egyptian Activists Defend 'Riots' Against an Unreformed Police Force - NYTimes.com
Correct argument wrong context?
- Egypt’s police: What happened to reform? | The Economist
- Fearing stark future, Syrian Alawites meet in Cairo | Reuters
- The Atlantic Article On King Abdullah: One Jordanian’s Perspective at The Black Iris of Jordan
- The Angry Arab | Chinese vs U.S. arms sales
- Russia, Israel and the Middle East: Vladimir Putin and the holy land | The Economist
- How Obama Became Netanyahu - The Daily Beast
- The Iraq War: Ten Years in Ten Numbers - By Neta C. Crawford | The Middle East Channel
- Bakers become latest victims of Egypt subsidy cuts | Guardian
Doesn't make sense - 3 loaves too little, and bakers have other issues.
- The Middle East peace process: Could two become one? | The Economist
On the one-state solution.
- From Passionate Participation to Apathetic Disillusionment: An Egyptian Story of Political Disenfranchising and Economic Woes | Atlantic Council
- Mursi Leaves Unrest Behind in Visit to Pakistan and India | The Majalla Magazine
- Syria Comment » “The Free Syrian Army Does Exist” by Koert Debeuf & Response by Aron Lund
- Middle East: Here, there and everywhere - FT.com
Qatar, of course.
- Monarch in the Middle - Jeffrey Goldberg - The Atlantic
The irony of Jordanian king giving lessons in democracy...
- Paris Review - The Art of Journalism No. 1, Hunter S. Thompson
“If you get paid for being crazy, if you can get paid for running amok . . . I call that sane.” —Hunter S. Thompson
- Cairobserver — Walking the city: an interview with Nabil Shawkat on the pleasures of exploring Cairo on foot
- بعد قرار حظر العمل الحزبي داخل المدارس والجامعات.. ماذا يفعل الطلاب؟ - بوابة الأهرام
Political party activity banned from campus?
- مدير الكلية الحربية: قبلنا طلابًا من «الإخوان» في دفعة هذا العام | المصري اليوم، أخبار اليوم من مصر
Military academy to accept cadets from Islamist families for 1st time.
- Turkey’s tentative EU springtime - International Crisis Group
- AFP: Gene study settles debate over origin of European Jews
- Hafnaoui Ghoul: Ouyahia a détruit le Sud
Interview with Algerian activist from south protests.
- EU fails to speak with one voice on Syria - FT.com
EU split on Syria: FT piece gives overview of positions; more interventionist UK & France vs Germany & others
- Mali’s Bad Trip - By Andrew Lebovich | Foreign Policy
On the drug trade in the Sahel.
- 'This American chutzpah makes my blood boil,' Menachem Begin said during Jimmy Carter's 1979 visit to Israel for Egypt peace talks | Haaretz
Archives show angry Begin on eve of treaty signing.