Another long overdue link recap. Should do these more often...
- Militant Group in Egypt Vows Loyalty to ISIS - NYTimes.com
- Joint Letter to President Obama on Egypt's Targeting of Civil Society
By HRW and various DC figures.
- Amnesty: Egypt’s defence of human rights record ‘cynical’
"Egypt’s defence of its human rights record lay in tatters today"...
- Egypt's Sisi and the insurgency
- The Islamic State and the Internationalization of the Sinai Conflict
Interesting piece on ABM by @zlgold
- A new authoritarian regime in Egypt? Controlling power and eliminating dissent
Dina El Khawaga
- Egypt Elevates an Official Hostile to U.S.
- Tunisia's presidential election
On Beji Caid Essebsi
- Qatar Digital Library
Impressive resource on Gulf
- We Will Stop Here and Go No Further: Syrian University Students and Scholars in Turkey (2014)
The devastating effect on Syria's educated classes and future
- Egypt Flattens Neighborhoods to Create a Buffer With Gaza - NYT
- Tunisians shun Islamists in vote for stability
Ennahda comes in second
- A Town Shouldn’t Fight the Islamic State Alone
Op-ed by female commander in Kobani
- Egypt’s 1984
Sharif Abdel Koddous says it all, says it clearly
- The name behind Beirut's walls
A thoughtful interview with a talented Lebanese street artist
- Minority Life in Israel
- Egyptian TV host suspended as network slams content 'demotivating the army' - Ahram Online
- The Tunisian election result isn’t simply a victory for secularism over Islamism | Monica Marks | Comment is free
- Egypt’s repression of civic activists is a serious mistake - The Washington Post
- Is Libya a proxy war? - The Washington Post
- Open-Air Clay Sculptures Honor the Victims of Gaza
- Whistleblowers say USAID’s IG removed critical details from public reports - The Washington Post
- USAID tamped down internal criticism over Egypt work: report
- New Freedoms in Tunisia Drive Support for ISIS - NYT
This fails to point out that Tunisia long provided recruits for Arab/Islamic causes.
- How the UAE Tried to Silence a Popular Arab Spring Activist - The Intercept
- Egypt's El-Sisi orders officials not to praise him in speeches - Ahram Online
- The Cold Realities of US Policy in Israel-Palestine | MERIP
- Libya-Goldman clash sheds light on formerly secretive fund - FT
- Who’s afraid of ‘Klinghoffer’? « LRB blog
Adam Shatz - great read.
- Letter from Syria: The road to Aleppo
Moving, illuminating account from journalist living in Aleppo
- 150 Street Artists Turn Tunisian Village Into Outdoor Art Gallery
- A wounded Egypt | Mada Masr
- The Islamic State through regional eyes
Maps and essays from ECFR
- Egypt’s bold reforms start to bear fruit
According to Russian investment group RenCap, Sisi econ policy like early Putin.
- Fin de présence des colonels du DRS dans les ministères | TSA-Algérie
- Omar Robert Hamilton · On Hunger Strike
And the woes and courage of one Egyptian activist family
- Online Magazine Brings New Life to Arab Studies
A piece by Ursula on the go-to middle east studies web site Jadaliyya
- L’art arabe contemporain, métaphore d’un effondrement | Culture et politique arabes
- Why Sisi’s new Egypt is no laughing matter for a cartoonist | The Observer
- Egypt’s Resurgent Authoritarianism: It’s a Way of Life
Masterful analysis by Nathan Brown
- The Arab whodunnit: crime fiction makes a comeback in the Middle East
Jonathan Guyer on Arab neo-noir
- In the U.S., a Turning Point in the Flow of Oil - NYT
- It's not just Bill Maher: Islamophobia on cable news is out of control - Vox
- On the Sakharov Prize | Mada Masr
Shame on the Sakharov Prize.
- « POUR LES MUSULMANS » D’EDWY PLENEL | France Culture Plus
Remarkable speech by Edwy Plenel.
- From the Potomac to the Euphrates » Revisiting Rabaa
Steve Cook, to the point - missed it when it came out.
- Coalition risks loss of support unless it clarifies its aims | The National
- Reining In Egypt’s Military Aid - NYT
Op-ed: "Mr. Sisi, who came to power in a rigged election..."
- What lies behind the “Islamic State” threat | Crisis Group
Peter Harling, scathing about everyone's responsibility.
- Border Patrol: Turkey Tries a New Tack on Its Southern Frontier | Crisis Group
Hugh Pope on Turkey's Daesh policy.
- Kuwait, Fighting Dissent From Within, Revokes Citizenship - NYT
- Ebola Overwhelming West Africa Communities - NYT
An utterly devastating read. Apocalyptic.
- The Destruction of Mecca - NYTimes
Devasting Sardar on how Saudis are ruining Islam.
- Saudi Arabia ‘in denial’ over Isis ideology - FT
- Kidnapped By ISIS, One Woman Tells How She Saved Her Sisters
Extraordinary escape story
- The Businessmen Who Want Egypt’s Internet Users Jailed, Tortured, Killed
Scott Long on expanded internet surveillance
- Saddam Hussein Talks to the FBI
Published in 2009, but never saw these interview transcripts before.
- Sisi at the UN | MERIP
A good selection of analysis on Sisi's "Nevermind what you did last summer" coming out party.
- Journalists' Syndicate bans activist Alaa Abdel Fattah from entry
Real courageous, Diaa Rashwan.
- Syrian Woman's Hidden Camera Reveals Life Under ISIS in Raqqa
A covert glimpse of life in the so-called Islamic State
- A Debt-To-Slave Pipeline is Building You a World Cup Stadium
Qatar's labour practices, examined in comic book form
- Israel & the US: The Delusions of Our Diplomacy by Nathan Thrall | The New York Review of Books