- Tunisia’s new constitution: progress and challenges to come | openDemocracy
Zaid al-Ali and Donia Ben Romdhane
- Convince, Coerce, or Compromise? Ennahda’s Approach to Tunisia’s Constitution | Brookings Institution
Monica Marks on Ennahda's internal politics.
- What was the thinking behind Libya’s transition? | THE DAILY STAR
Pete Cole urges patience.
- The Strategy of Egypt's Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis
Long War Journal's David Barnett
- The Egypt Effect: Sharpened Tensions, Reshuffled Alliances - Carnegie
Regional impact of July 3.
- Qatar’s leadership transition: like father, like son | ECFR
Andrew Hammond argues Qatar as Ikhwanophile as ever.
- An account of torture from Wadi al-Natrun prison | Mada Masr
- Cairobserver — Review: Ahdaf Soueif's Cairo
- Cairobserver — Second Print Edition of Cairobserver
- Luna of Cairo by Luna and Leela Corman - Narratively
Cute comic on life of foreign belly dancer in Cairo.
- (No) Dialogue in Bahrain | MERIP
- Egypt blames Muslim Brotherhood for 'expected' electricity crisis
But of course.
- Are protesters overthrowing a brutal despot, or merely bad losers at the polls? - The Independent
Patrick Cockburn on Egypt, Thailand, Ukraine, Turkey.
- Sabbahi calls for candidate debate with El-Sisi ahead of Egypt's presidential poll - Ahram Online
- Morocco police block launch of rapper's new album
- The Resurgence of Militant Islamists in Egypt | Middle East Institute
- Political Scientists Are Targets in Egypt’s Crackdown on Islamists
On the ripples of concern raised by the Emad Shahin case
- New rail freight link could become 'Israel’s Suez Canal’ - Haaretz
Huge mistake re: MB, but interesting
- Libyan army commander calls for parliament to be suspended | Reuters
He's no Sisi - http://youtu.be/R5uXd3oGDTw
- "Pourquoi je veux mourir en Syrie" : confession d'un djihadiste français - France 24
- Security Forces in Egypt Detain Employee of American Embassy
For setting up meetings b/w Embassy and MB. Egyptian government now retroactively criminalizing all contact with the Brothers?
- Pharaohs, Caliphs and Field Marshals - NYTimes.com
Powerful op-ed by Bahaeddin Hassan.
- Egypt Detains a U.S. Embassy Employee - NYTimes.com
For talking to MB.
- Hazem Kandil · Sisi’s Turn: What does Sisi want? · LRB
Scathing on the MB, problematic in many places.
- L’empire DRS contre-attaque.
Post on political machinations in Algeria.
- Meet Chechclearr, the Web-savvy foreign Islamic militant in Syria - Los Angeles Times
- Commentary: No Iran Deal? No Problem | The National Interest
- Sudan, Egypt officers collude in migrant abuse: rights group
- British company negotiates exporting gas from Israel to Egypt
Possible that Egypt will become consumer and exporter of Israeli gas...
- The Quest for Cultural Authenticity and the Politics of Identity - LSE
Lecture by Sami Zubeida
- Massacres in Egypt Report - HRM
- The Brotherhood Withdraws Into Itself
- Letter from the wife of a detainee: A visit to prison - Daily News Egypt
- Turkish police caught in middle of war between PM and ex-ally | The Guardian
Fascinating on Gulen network penetration.
- From nationalism to resistance and back again | Mada Masr
Lovely bit of musical history by Sarah Carr
- The motorbike girl gangs of Morocco
- The Crooks Return to Cairo
On the "reconciliation" deals in the works with Mubarak-era businessmen
- A murder mystery set in post-Saddam Baghdad is as good as it is daring - Reviews - Books - The Independent
A review of Elliot Colla's Baghdad Central, which is in my daunting to-read stack
- مفاجأة | وقف طبع جريدة الوطن بسبب تقرير «ثروة السيسي» المقدرة بـ 30مليون جنيه
Issue of El Watan newspaper banned after it reports Sisi's personal fortune is $4 million
- Who’s afraid of a binational state? - Haaretz
Gideon Levy makes the obvious argument: it's already one state.
- Egypt forecasts gas shortage next fiscal year | Reuters
And BG just declared Force Majeure...
- Egypt's quick-fix minimum wage hike fails to calm workers | Reuters
- Egypt summons Qatar's charge d'affaires over Egyptian cleric | Reuters
- Mr Blair goes to Cairo
Fuck you Blair. Bet you miss your vacations with Mubarak.
- The Political Marshal of Egypt | Mada Masr
Belal Fadl on Nasser, Amer, Montgomery, Heikal and of course Sisi.
- State security charges film-maker with spreading ‘false news’ to foreign countries
Egyptian film-maker detained for having footage of Rabba dispersal, using term "coup"
- In Egypt, just speaking to Brotherhood is a risk for foreign reporters
Journalists in Egypt face growing threats
- The Collapse of the Phrase ‘Constitutional Pragmatism’
- What are the legal steps before Sisi's candidacy? | Mada Masr
- The Future That We do not want to see in #Egypt
What is wrong w/ these people?
- Arabic Erotica
Scholarly blog on "Sex and Erotology in Mediaeval Arabic Literature"
- Syria’s Polio Epidemic: The Suppressed Truth by Annie Sparrow | The New York Review of Books
- Is it time for the west to recognise Cyrenaica? | Nick Butler
Dangerous and misguided piece.
- Syria Plea: ‘We Are Eating Cat and Donkey Meat, Have Mercy on Us’
Heartbreaking reporting from Yarmouk.
- The sad story of Amr Hamzawy and Emad Shahin
- Presidential Elections: The Key Step in Egypt’s Roadmap [Part I]
Nader Bakkar: Sisi running is "akin to gambling" - is that a Salafi diss?
- Influential cleric urges Saudis to stop backing Egypt's dominant military
Qaradawi sowing fitna in Saudi, says false flag ops in Cairo.
- Letter to Obama From American Detained in Egypt - NYTimes.com
- English translation of new Tunisian constitution
- BBC News - Egypt Air Force helicopter 'downing' a major escalation
New manpad threat
- Refashioning Morocco’s Loyalist Party - Sada
On the PAM.
- Egypt, reneging on roadmap, to start elections with presidential vote
So long, July roadmap.
- Latest copy of Cairobserver
- On Moroccan Hill, Villagers Make Stand Against a Mine - NYTimes.com
- Les enfants fauchés par la révolution égyptienne - Libération
Portraits of the parents of 2011 "martyrs".