Big link dump, "I forgot to do it for like six weeks" edition.
- Egyptian Facebook User Sentenced to Three Years in Prison for Photoshopping Mickey Mouse Ears on Sisi
- Egyptian writer Gamal al-Ghitani dies aged 70
- Dinner with Elias Khoury
Nice account by @arablit. I have fond memories of after-class drinks with Khoury.
- Teaching Islam in the Age of ISIS
- Whatever happened to Middle Eastern studies?
Interesting -- they are now "Islamic" studies
- Pictures Showing Where Young Syrian Refugees Sleep
Not Suitable For Your Heart
- Egypt's women-only taxi service promises protection from male drivers
But some say it's just more gender segregation
- A coup busted? | Mada Masr
Hossam Bahgat on an alleged coup against Sisi.
- Low-Cost Authoritarianism: The Egyptian Regime and Labor Movement Since 2013
- Iraqi Forces and Shiite Militias Retake Oil Refinery From ISIS - The New York Times
- MUSINGS ON IRAQ: MIT VIDEO: ISIS Apocalypse William McCants
- Moroccan Government Cracks Down on Journalists and Activists
documenting surveillance is itself a crime
- Why Egypt’s new parliament will be born broken
- A cyclone brews over Saudi Arabia - The Washington Post
David Ignatius on al-Saud family feuds.
- Why the UAE is fighting in Yemen
- There will be no peace until Israel’s occupation of Palestine ends | Marwan Barghouti
- The Rise of Riad Sattouf’s “The Arab of the Future” - The New Yorker
Adam Shatz profiles Franco-Syrian cartoonist
- An ‘Independent Historian’ Documents Life Under the Islamic State
A column on the remarkable blog Mosul Eye
- What does the Brotherhood really want? - Ahram Online
- The sad state of Egypt’s liberals | The Economist
- Video: Israel plants armed "stone throwers" among Palestinian protestors | The Electronic Intifada
- The Gun Smuggler’s Lament | Foreign Policy
On Qatar and Libya
- Saudi royal calls for regime change in Riyadh
Letters criticize leaders over war in Yemen, falling oil prices
- 25 Amazing Photos from Hajj 1953
I bookmarked these great pics just before the stampede tragedy
- After Sweden suggests recognizing a Sahrawi republic in Western Sahara..
... Morocco retaliates by blocking planned IKEA
- The Bored Jihadi — ISIS Foreign fighter frustrations
From a while ago. Full translation of long complaint about Arab brothers' bad habits.
- Artwork satirizing Isis banned from free speech exhibition in the UK
For security concerns. Ridiculous.
- The strange Middle East focus of Banksy's Dismaland
Good overview, but never explains what exactly is "strange"
- Sisi’s Regime Is a Gift to the Islamic State | Foreign Policy
- U.S. Soldiers Told to Ignore Sexual Abuse of Boys by Afghan Allies
- How the US fuelled the rise of Isis in Syria and Iraq
2012 Pentagon report welcomed establishment of "Salafist principality"
- Saudi Teenager Ali Mohammed al-Nimr Has Been Sentenced to Death by Crucifixion
Nephew of dissident cleric
- Political desertification
Good description for Egyptian political scene
- Open letter to Egyptian teenager in jail for almost 2 years for wearing anti-torture T-shirt
- Meet The Obscure Company Behind America’s Syria Fiasco
Multi-million dollar non-competitive bid
- Teju Cole: Migrants are Welcome
- For Arab Artists With Something To Say, This Sheikh Is A Loudspeaker
Profile of @SultanAlQassemi, with cool slideshow
- U.S. Soldiers Told to Ignore Afghan Allies’ Abuse of Boys - The New York Times
- Why is Sisi afraid of the Constitution and parliament?
- Young Activists Disappear Amid Egyptian Government Crackdown
- UK looks to salesmen-soldiers to keep British arms industry afloat
To be more like France.
- Egyptian Military Said to Fire on Mexican Tourists During Picnic - NYT
Damning details and quote from army.
- Godfathers & Thieves
Elizabeth Dickinson's new book on the Syrian diaspora and the uprising against Assad.
- Egyptian security forces accidentally shoot dead 12 tourists and guides
- Algeria's Bouteflika replaces head of DRS military intelligence: sources | THE DAILY STAR
- Super Mario is a refugee, too
- Ahmed Seif al-Islam: In dark times | a paper bird
Homage by Scott Long.
- The believer: How an introvert became the leader of the Islamic State | Brookings Institution
On Omar al-Baghdadi
- The Lessons of Anwar al-Awlaki - The New York Times
- How my Cairo bookclub changed my view of Islamists | Rabab El-Mahdi | Comment is free | The Guardian