The Arabist's editors have been on the move lately, traveling and showing visiting friends around Morocco. Hence, a few pictures and a very late, large set of links.
- The Algerian Exception by Kamel Daoud - NYT
- Battle to write constitution for a Libya at war with itself - FT
- Missed this interview with Tarhouni
- Egypt: 2,600 Killed After Ouster of Islamist President
- Entangled | The Economist
America and the the Middle East.
- Syria’s Sunnis and the Regime’s Resilience | Combating Terrorism Center at West Point
On Sunni support for Assad.
- Yemeni officials under ex-president Saleh 'worked with al-Qaeda' | Middle East Eye
- CIA duped.
- Matariyya, Egypt's New Theater of Dissent | MERIP
- Good reporting by Amira Howeidy
- Saudi Arabia Shoots Down Missile Fired From Yemen - NYT
- Surprising Saudi Rises as a Prince Among Princes - NYT
On Muhammad bin Salman
- Why Jihadists Write Poetry - The New Yorker
- The Administration Should Not Meet With the Muslim Brotherhood in Washington - WINEP
Because if you ignore it all will be well?
- Mohamed Morsi is no Nelson Mandela
@belalfadl on MB: "All they have left now is empty threats of revenge against everyone, if their deluded fantasy of returning to power ever comes true"
- Illegally detained activists summoned by prosecutor amid wave of forced disappearances | Mada Masr
- Orwellian Times in Egypt: A Conversation with Emad Shahin - YouTube
- Saudi Arabia's Widening War - Gary Sick - POLITICO Magazine
- Rethinking nations in the Middle East - The Washington Post
POMEPS collection of essays on nationalism.
- Defense Minister exempts 574 military installations from real estate tax | Egypt Independent
- Moroccan Film About Prostitution Creates Uproar - NYT
- Congress seeks to lift last restrictions on aid to Egypt - Al-Monitor: the Pulse of the Middle East
No longer requires HR progress, free elex.
- New Left Project | The End of Empire?: Violence and US Hegemony in the Middle East
Gilbert Achcar on Kaplan's plea for a more assertive US imperialism in the Middle East
- A League of His Own | Bloomberg Business
Great profile of Sepp Blatter, much mention of Arab money in FIFA.
- From Belgium to ISIS
Great, strange, sad story of one wannabe jihadi
- Partition en vue d’une succession contrôlée - Actualité - El Watan
- U.S. citizen Mohamed Soltan freed from Egyptian prison
After such an ordeal
- Opening the black box of Egypt's slush funds | The Angaza File
- Egypt's military establishes multi-industry company - Ahram
- Egypt's new justice minister called for hardline Sharia - Telegraph
And considers citizens "slaves".
- Libyan Prime Minister Survives Assassination Attempt Amid Protests - NYT
Just as likely Haftar as it is Fajr Libya
- It’s Time to Bring Imperialism Back to the Middle East | Foreign Policy
Robert Kaplan, being a silly neocon.
- Maybe He Found Gaddafi's Billions. Or Maybe It’s All a Giant Scam
Bizzarre con seems to have worked in Washington
- “Cairo," cityscapes by cartoonist Mohamed Wahba Elshenawy
I want this.
- Islamic State "institutionalizes sexual violence" and sexual slavery
Interview with head of UN sex crime investigators
- Obama to the Arabs: We don’t care - Al Arabiya
- Obama Upgrades Tunisia’s Status as a U.S. Ally - NYT
- الدولة ترد على تحركات شفيق «المريبة»: إنسى - بوابة الشروق
Sisi regime tells Shafiq to fuggedaboutit.
- Egypt Nile water pollution on the rise - Al-Monitor
- The challenged kingdom | The Economist
- World's biggest hotel to open in Mecca
Saudis go on desecrating holy city with crassness
- Egypt’s cyber crime bill
It's open season on all forms of online expression
- Egypt: Rape and sexual violence perpetrated by security forces 'surges' under el-Sisi's regime
But nobody wants to know
- Egypt Tax Delay Means Rich Pay Less to Cut Deficit: IMF
- Clinton Friend’s Memos on Libya Draw Scrutiny to Politics and Business - NYT
- Elite Iraqi units abandon Ramadi in biggest Islamic State win since Mosul
- Meet the director of the BuSSy Project, Egypt's answer to the Vagina Monologues
Good interview with Sondos Shabayek
- Egyptian court labels Ultra soccer fans as terrorists
Why not, who's next?