Sorry, we've been on holiday.
- Sisi’s New Prisons
A visit to Alaa Abdel Fattah
- A Saudi Morals Enforcer Called for a More Liberal Islam. Then the Death Threats Began
Best piece on KSA I've read in a long while
- Hundreds 'disappeared' by security forces in Egypt, says Amnesty | The Guardian
- Chilcot report: UK oil groups feared losing out on deals — FT
And some still say oil has nothing to do with it...
- Why elections are bad for democracy | David Van Reybrouck | The Guardian
This guy has been a hit in Belgium.
- In Britain, the End of the Establishment - Bloomberg View
Pankaj Mishra on Brexit as "a collective suicide bombing."
- Egyptian authorities ban feminist Mozn Hassan from travelling to Beirut | The Guardian
- A Letter From the Edge of the Abyss
This is beautiful, terrible to read.
- Egypt’s anti-corruption chief was fired. Then his daughter was, too. - The Washington Post
- The Bookseller of Algiers « LRB blog
Ursula was in Algiers for the first time recently, and wrote this
- A Tunisian professor writes about "Mohamed's Last Days"
This was an interesting read
- United Nations Chief Exposes Limits to His Authority by Citing Saudi Threat - NYT
Threat to defund Palestine, Syria, Sudan aid.
- Graft Fighter in Egypt Finds Himself a Defendant in Court - The New York Times
- Eating in public during Ramadan is an attack on Islam, declares Dar al-Ifta | Mada Masr
What a fragile religion.
- The Egyptian Satirist Who Inspired a Revolution - The New Yorker
On Abou Haddara, a late 19th c. magazine
- Morsi death sentence endorsed by Egypt's mufti, website says
- Saudi wealth fund takes $3.5bn Uber stake — FT
- Iran Bars Pilgrims From Traveling to Mecca for Hajj - The New York Times
Interesting details on hacking attacks by Saudis.
- Middle Eastern Writers Find Refuge in the Dystopian Novel - The New York Times