- Justice Department: We’ll Go After ISIS’s Twitter Army
US could prosecute for remarks made on social media
- Anatomy of a Killing: How Shaimaa al-Sabbagh Was Shot Dead at a Cairo Protest
And how her friends had to fight police to stay with her body
- Chicago police detain Americans at an abusive 'black site'
- Secret interrogation sites at home, too
- Obscure Group Says It Set Off Blasts in Egypt, Raising Alarm - NYT
Attacks target businesses.
- How the Islamic State was Won
- The politics of "quietist" Salafism
New Brookings paper argues that quietist Salafists are plenty political.
- Men In Skirts Protest Violence Against Women In Turkey
Al Jazeera video
- The Clash of Civilizations That Isn’t
- Abu Aardvark: An Open Letter to John Legend
Urging him not to play a concert in Bahrain
- Ahmed Ezz: My exclusion from election goes against the revolution
- Israel cuts off electricity to thousands of West Bank Palestinians
- Emir of Qatar writes an open letter to Obama in the NYTimes
- Mali and the Sahel
Separatism, terrorism, smuggling networks
- Bernard Haykel, professor quoted in that Atlantic piece everyone is arguing about, has more to say
- How two Palestinian Americans plan to Pivot the world
App unveils history of Palestine
- The Verdict
In the Shura case
- Activist Alaa Abdel Fattah sentenced to 5 years
For a protest
- Mystery group defends UAE's rights record. Vitriolic response to criticisms
- The Middle East and China
Talk by Chas Freeman.
- The Hezbollah Connection
Great account of investigation of Hariri murder
- 'For the Love of Egypt' electoral list leaves political parties divided - Ahram Online
The usual elite divisions.
- The future of the Muslim Brotherhood in the Gulf
- Behind the $57 Million Network Fueling Islamophobia in the U.S.
New doc by Center for American Progress
- The struggles - and hopes - of Hend Nafea
The Egyptian "girl in the blue bra" gets a life sentence
- Conservatives Dance On Grave Of ISIL Hostage: 'Jew-Hating, Anti-Israel B**ch'
Because she volunteered in Palestine
- Ali Abdulemam: I have not lost my identity.
Bahraini blogger on being stripped of his citizenship alongside 71 others.
- Dubai Unveils Plans For World’s Largest Human Rights Violation | The Onion
- Chapel Hill shooting: Three young Muslims gunned down in North Carolina family home
Looks like a hate crime.
- In Matareya, death unites
On a Cairo slum that has lost hundreds in clashes with police
- Russia to help build nuclear power plant in Egypt
What could possibly go wrong?
- An investigation by Le Monde gives rare glimpse into the assets of Morocco's royal family
- Morocco legalizes 18,000 migrants in 2014 under new policy
- Houthi Constitutional Declaration just issued in Yemen, translated by IDEA
- Mutual escalation in Egypt
Escalation in rhetoric towards violence.
- Steel tycoon and loathed symbol of Mubarak-era corruption, Ahmed Ezz, to run for Parliament
- The Muslims of Early America
"Like the rodeo, Islam is an indelible part of our culture."
- The Louvre Abu Dhabi Buys a Washington Portrait by Stuart
- Anonymous “Hacktivists” Go After ISIS Accounts
- Libya Against Itself by Nicolas Pelham
Essay-review of new book on Libya.
- The Egyptian judge sentencing hundreds to death and activists to life looks and acts exactly as you'd imagine
- More readers, better designs and unlikely bargains at the Cairo book fair
Interesting roundup what's new of Cairo's major book fair.
- Rafale en Égypte : l'accord est à portée de main
Reminds me of Jack Lemmon in Glencarry Glen Ross.
- Thugs Beat Up Monkeys At Alexandria Zoo
Makes you wish for Planet of the Apes reprisal
- Egypt's Sisi 'despised' and colluded with Gulf rulers
More leaks of high-level military calls -- where are they coming from?
- The Saudi palace coup | Middle East Eye
Tentative overtures to MB?
- F. Gregory Gause III | Saudi Arabia's Game of Thrones | Foreign Affairs
- Frederic Wehrey | Misrata and Hope for a Political Solution in Libya | Foreign Affairs
- Who Are the Billionaires Attacking Obama’s Iran Diplomacy? | The Nation
- Egyptian court sends prominent activist Ahmed Douma to jail for life
And a $2 million fine. Insane.
- Peter Greste is now free, but there are still 11 journalists left in Egypt's prisons
- Britons dislike Israel more than Iran – but North Korea beats them both as most maligned nation
- Israel's ambassador jokes on Twitter about undermining Obama
Egypt’s Cartoonists, After Charlie Hebdo
Profiles + work
Pan-Arab news channel off air hours after launch
For hosting Bahraini dissident
The news website that’s keeping press freedom alive in Egypt
A nice profile of Mada Masr
A Letter to Saudi Arabia's New King
From an anonymous Saudi writer
First link dump of the year, some dating from December 2014 – all Charlie-free, see recent posts and link roundups for that.
- Man discovers passage to Egypt's Great Pyramid — under his house
- Al Jazeera Journalists Are Not Egypt’s Enemies
Mohamed Fadel Fahmy says he and others are victims of regional cold war
- Morocco Approves Exodus Film, After Offending Sections Cut
- How the Iraq War Financed a Beltway Real Estate Boom
- Quand le roi du Maroc boude, il tombe malade
Ahmed Benchemsi in Le Monde
A friend received this in his email inbox yesterday. It seems the Nigerian 419 email scam has evolved. Love the reply-to address:
I am Mr Hosni Mubarak former leader of Egyptian am currently released from prison charges of complicity resulting from political turmoil during the 2011 the government has seized everything i have here and prevent us from traveling out of Egypt because the released is conditional.
As a result of this, I need somebody outside Egypt to represent my interest to manage our reserved funds value (25,000,000.00 [U.SD] in long-term business venture especially in public and private business (including real estate investment,
I am willing to negotiate with you how much I will offer you to handle this for me after your acceptance. And all needed to proceed the legality and movement of the (25,000,000.00 [U.SD] shall or will be duly obtained in due course.
Mr Hosni Mubarak
Hopefully the first of a more disciplined weekly link dump.
- How ISIS Rules by Sarah Birke | NYRblog
- 20 key findings about CIA interrogations
Handy interactive summary
- TV presenter defends her role in mass ‘gay’ bathhouse arrests
Argues arresting and shaming naked men will help fight HIV
- The Syrian Civil War, From Space
Its cities shine "a quarter as bright" at night now
- Navy engineer tried to leak plans for new aircraft carrier to Egypt, U.S. says - The Washington Post
- Four years after Egypt's uprising, prison ranks swell: A writer's story - CSMonitor.com
- Imagining a New Arab Order
Tarek Osman - perhaps too optimistic in his bleakness...
- Muslim-hating man rams Missouri teen with SUV, severing his legs and killing him
- Luke Somers, American Hostage, Is Killed During Rescue Attempt in Yemen, U.S. Official Says - NYT
- Sunnis Fear Permanent Displacement From Iraqi Town - NYT
- State Dept. Spokesperson Stuck to Her Lines… Until She Thought Her Mic Was Off
Admits US position on Egypt is "ridiculous"
- Architects float monument concept for Qatar's fallen World Cup workers
Or one could just prevent deaths in the first place
- Radio-Free Syria