Most of these are from last week, as we slowly gear up after holidays...
- Is Chechnya Taking Over Russia? - The New York Times
Interesting piece by Ekaterina Sokirianskaia. Perhaps this is the Russian model in MENA too.
- Can Anyone Stop Iran From Taking Over Iraq? - The New York Times
- You are the product · LRB 17 August 2017
- Tunisian president vows to usher in new era of gender equality | Middle East Eye
- Jihadists strike across West Africa | FDD's Long War Journal
- Beyond the Qatar Crisis - Carnegie
Consequences on energy and power markets in Gulf
- Tunisia’s Risky War on Corruption - Carnegie
- Jordan's Muslim Brotherhood claims victory in local elections | Middle East Eye
- Egypt signs $1.24 bln light rail deal with AVIC, China Railway Group -Xinhua
Great if this is well-implemented, Cairo needs it.
- Telling the truth in Tunisia
@ursulind on transitional justice and the hurdles it faces
- How the Islamic State Rose, Fell and Could Rise Again in the Maghreb
New Crisis Group report.
- The Waking Nightmare: Post-revolutionary Egyptian Dystopias
- Egypt opens military base, the largest in northwest region
- After Striking Deal With Hamas, Abbas Rival Mohammed Dahlan Says Gaza-Egypt Border to Reopen
- NYTimes: Saudi King’s Son Plotted Effort to Oust His Rival
- Egypt’s Copts keep the faith in the fight against Isis
- Ex-Al Jazeera staff 'linked to Egypt security agency'
This is getting sordid - and it's unclear whether it's about the case or the Qatar crisis.
- Jack Shaheen, Who Resisted and Cataloged Stereotyping of Arabs, Dies at 81 - The New York Times