Links September 18th to September 19th
Links from my del.icio.us account for September 18th through September 19th:
- Desmond Tutu: Israeli shelling in Gaza may be war crime |
World news |
The Guardian - "Tutu said the Israeli attack, which hit the Athamna family house, showed "a disproportionate and reckless disregard for Palestinian civilian life".
The archbishop presented his comments in a final report to the UN Human Rights Council, which had sent him to Gaza to investigate the killings in Beit Hanoun in November 2006. For 18 months Israel did not grant the archbishop or his team a visa. They entered Gaza in May this year on a rare crossing from Egypt.
On the three-day visit, Tutu and his team visited the house, interviewed the survivors and met others in Gaza, including the senior Hamas figure and former prime minister, Ismail Haniyeh. At the time, Tutu said he wanted to travel to Israel to hear the Israeli account of events, but he was not permitted."
- Almasry Alyoum | Suspicious Tour By US Ambassador In Cairo University - Al Masri Al Youm's reporting has really gone down the drain, this story is ridiculous.
- The Witness | Egypt: Thieving donkey sent to jail - "CAIRO — An Egyptian donkey has been jailed for stealing corn on the cob from a field belonging to an agricultural research institute in the Nile Delta, local media reported yesterday.
The ass and its owner were apprehended at a police checkpoint that had been set up after the institute’s director complained that someone was stealing his crops, the state-owned Al-Ahram daily said.
The unnamed ungulate was found in possession of the institute’s corn and a local judge sentenced him to 24 hours in prison. The man who had his ass thrown in jail got off with a fine of 50 Egyptian pounds (about R70)."
- The political state of Egypt | Will the dam burst? | The Economist - I missed this long briefing on Egypt's sorry current situation and uncertain future.
- Saudi Arabia's puritanical clerics | Death to the media moguls! | The Economist - On crazy Saudi fatwa against depraved satellite channels.