Links for January 12th
Links from my del.icio.us account for January 12th:
- Daily News Egypt - MP HOSPITALIZED AFTER HEATED DEBATE OVER GAS EXPORTS TO ISRAEL - MPs throw shoes at each other as Egypt ignores second court order to stop gas exports to Israel.
- Barack Obama administration 'prepared to talk to Hamas' | World news | guardian.co.uk - I am skeptical about this.
- The National Interest | Gaza, Viewed From Cairo - Michele Dunne on Mubarak's calculations.
- Avi Shlaim: How Israel brought Gaza to the brink of humanitarian catastrophe | World news | The Guardian - Abi Schlaim: "On 2 June 1948, Sir John Troutbeck wrote to the foreign secretary, Ernest Bevin, that the Americans were responsible for the creation of a gangster state headed by "an utterly unscrupulous set of leaders". I used to think that this judgment was too harsh but Israel's vicious assault on the people of Gaza, and the Bush administration's complicity in this assault, have reopened the question."
- Heikal on Gaza « - Mr. Egypt on Heikal's statements on Gaza.
- Le Figaro - International : Dans le secret des tunnels de Gaza - Georges Malbrunot on the tunnels
- In Fake Arab Town, Israeli Lawyers and Actors Prep For Real War - Yahoo! News - Where Israelis practice urban warfare in case of a mass invasion of Gaza.
- Egypt police, children wounded in Israeli air strikes - Yahoo! News - I wonder what will be the reaction to this...
- ei: Will Hizballah intervene in the Gaza conflict? - Hizbullah's behavior during the attack on Egypt, its motivations and likelihood of an intervention to support Hamas, and analysis of its unprecedented attack on Egypt. (Although al-Manar and some Hizbullah figures have toned down the anti-Egypt stance since Nasrallah's speech).
- Rafah: A border town caught between Egypt and Hamas | csmonitor.com - Lina Attalah writes about Rafah, Egyptian concerns about Gaza, and ends with this great quote from a Palestinian: "The tunnels are a normal response to the [border] closure. If the borders were consistently open, there would be no tunnels. We are not rats."