Links January 20th to January 21st
Links from my del.icio.us account for January 20th through January 21st:
- The Arab royal who's going off oil | Environment | guardian.co.uk - Abu Dhabi - a place that is impossible without air-conditioning - wants to go green and energy-efficient.
- Lieberman to Arab MK: We'll deal with you like we dealt with Hamas - Israel News, Ynetnews - Savor the irony: Israel-Arab politician goads racist lunatic Lieberman for not speaking Hebrew properly.
- ANALYSIS / Jordan's king is torn between U.S.-Egypt and Syria-Hamas axes - Haaretz - Israel News - Misleading headline: "Jordanian king under pressure for pro-US line" is more like it.
- Gazans Rally Behind Hamas - WSJ.com - Charles Levinson reports on how Hamas' popularity may have received a boost from Cast Lead.
- Obama first speech in Morocco - Campaign for Obama to give his first Middle East / Muslim world speech in Morocco. Well, it would be pretty non-controversial, and Morocco was the first country to recognize the US back in 1777. But perhaps a little TOO uncontroversial...
- ei: Israel's right to defend itself - I don't like Joseph Massad generally, but this piece is worth reading: "The logic goes as follows: Israel has the right to occupy Palestinian land, lay siege to Palestinian populations in Bantustans surrounded by an apartheid wall, starve the population, cut them off from fuel and electricity, uproot their trees and crops, and launch periodic raids and targeted assassinations against them and their elected leadership, and if this population resists these massive Israeli attacks against their lives and the fabric of their society and Israel responds by slaughtering them en masse, Israel would simply be "defending" itself as it must and should."
- Israel pinning hopes for Hamas deal in Gaza on Egypt intel chief - Haaretz - Israel News - On Omar Suleiman: "You can't forget that first and foremost he is an Egyptian patriot," said a former senior Israeli intelligence official who met him several times, "and his primary task, perhaps his only one, is to defend the regime and protect the life of the president."
- Lieberman to Haaretz: Hamas missiles will reach Tel Aviv within a year - Haaretz - Israel News - Interview with racist Israeli politician Avigdor Lieberman, who may benefit from 'Cast Lead' and demands "right of expulsion" (aka 'transfer' aka ethnic cleansing) for Israeli-Arabs.