Links January 26th to January 27th
Links from my del.icio.us account for January 26th through January 27th:
- U.S. Navy ordered to release Iran weapons ship - US Navy conducting searches of Iranian ships in Egyptian territorial waters.
- Bloomberg.com: Mubarak Risks Losing Lead Role in Gaza Talks as Criticism Rises - Would Egyptian failure in its mediation efforts doom a Gamal presidency?
- IkhwanWeb | Egypt’s intelligence blackmails wounded Palestinians to tell about Hamas - Reports on Egyptian intelligence torturing/interrogating Palestinians being treated in Egypt are surfacing.
- Almasry Alyoum | The Butane Gas Cylinder - Magdi Gallad's column in Masri al-Youm illustrates some of the recent problems with shortages of butane gas cylinders - among the most subsidzed item in Egypt's huge subsidy program.
- Le Figaro - International : Souleiman, l'homme qui sait parler à Israël et au Hamas - Profile of Mar Suleiman.
- Israel stymies French push to lift European boycott of Hamas - Haaretz - Israel News - French-Israeli battle over change of policy on Hamas isolation.
- Egypt persecutes Muslim moderates - International Herald Tribune - Quranists got an op-ed in IHT. I don't like their use of the stupid analogy "Islamic Reformation" though.
- VirtualGaza | Break the Information Blockade - Google Earth overlay magic over Gaza.
- Egyptian chronicles: On this day please become our shield not our enemy - On the origins of Egypt's Police Day.
- Lebanon's Daily Star shut down - International Herald Tribune - Daily Star's gone bust? Too bad.
- Democracy Now! | Noam Chomsky: Obama's Stance on Gaza Crisis "Approximately the Bush Position" - Still early, Noam. But it's true we've seen nothing new so far.
- Among Egyptians, mixed feelings over Gaza - Yahoo! News - This war really brought into the open the divisions in Egypt over Hamas and the Palestinians more generally.
- TelQuel : Le coup de poing Casanegra - Casanegra, Morocco's hit movie.
- FT.com / Middle East / Arab-Israel conflict - Israelis display ‘grim satisfaction’ - War crimes as group therapy: "Whether through pride, relief or even a sense of triumph, there is no doubt that the Gaza conflict has at last made Israelis feel better about themselves, their leaders and their army."