Links February 8th to February 9th
Links from my del.icio.us account for February 8th through February 9th:
- Israel's Tzipi Livni turns to women and the left for votes - Los Angeles Times - Livni makes dubious attempt at grrrl power.
- The Associated Press: Egyptian women, some men, fight sexual harassment - "The study by the Egyptian Center for Women's Rights showed that 83 percent of Egyptian women and 98 percent of foreign women surveyed said they are sexually harassed. Even more startling: 62.4 percent of men surveyed said they harassed women."
- Hamas leader Zahar: We don't want to replace PLO, we want to join it - Haaretz - Israel News - Hamas split over Meshaal's "alternative to PLO" idea. Actually it appears several Hamas-Gaza people have spoken against this, and even the Syrians are none too happy.
- ANALYSIS / Fatah fears Shalit deal will bring down Abbas - Haaretz - Israel News - "The immediate significance of a Shalit agreement would be the assembly of the Palestinian parliament again, including all the Hamas representatives now sitting in Israeli prisons. This has Fatah concerned, as Hamas would apparently claim a large majority in the parliament and could therefore render Salam Fayyad's government illegal. Hamas could also pass a law stating Abbas's term had ended on January 9 and he now had to resign and hold new elections."
- Op-Ed Contributor - Why the Muslim World Can’t Hear Obama - NYTimes.com - Egyptian novelist Alaa al-Aswany takes Obama to task on Gaza and supporting Mubarak.
- SudanTribune article : Egypt FM and spy chief fly to Sudan as ICC decision looms - Will Egypt try to pressure Bashir on the ICC indictment and his support of Hamas?
- The Times - Divided Anglicans agree to mediation - Savor the irony: Anglicans get together to discuss homosexuality and the church... in Alexandria, Egypt.
- EGYPT: Book bashes Mubarak's state - New Galal Amin book: "A new book assessing Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak’s era described his state as weak, purposeless, driven by individual rather than national interests and plagued by unprecedented corruption. The book, titled “Egypt and Egyptians in Mubarak’s Era 1981-2008,” carries ruthless criticism..."
- Obama's NSC Will Get New Power - washingtonpost.com - James Jones to carry out overhaul of NSC.
- http://delicious.com/elhamalawy/6FebProGazaMarch - Hossam's delicious page for the arrest of activist Philip Rizk.
- Israeli Arabs fear a Gaza backlash - How how the (further) rise of the Israeli racist right is threatening Arab-Israelis.
- The kidnapping of Philip Rizk - Arrests after March for Gaza.