Links February 25th to February 26th
Links from my del.icio.us account for February 25th through February 26th:
- Why hasn't America been attacked since 9/11? - By Timothy Noah - Slate Magazine - Slate series looks at different theories for why there has been no repeat of 9/11.
- CorpWatch : US: Bad Reception - Corruption at al-Hurra
- Jordan's cabinet shuffle | Marc Lynch - Abu Aardvark does Jordan Kremlinology
- Muslim Publics Oppose Al Qaeda's Terrorism, But Agree With Its Goal of Driving US Forces Out - World Public Opinion - New opinion poll on Muslim attitudes towards US, terrorism, Islamists. Interesting to note that in Egypt they were not allowed to ask the question on the acceptability of Islamist participation in politics (I believe polls must get security clearance first.)
- What's wrong with America? Case in point: Richard Perle | Stephen M. Walt - "Richard Perle is a liar," says Walt. I like his very un-Washingtonian frankness.
- Washing machine timer used in Cairo bomb blast which killed French teenager | Mail Online - Method similar to homemade bombs used in Sinai bombings, typical of low-tech terrorism.
- Former peace negotiators urge world to engage with Hamas - Haaretz - Israel News - DeSoto, Ben Ami and other former peace negotiators say don't be stupid, talk to Hamas
- Why the diplomats are having a hard time explaining Dennis Ross's job - By Laura Rozen | The Cable - More on the Ross appointment.
- Egypt investigating Hamas links to Cairo blast targeting Westerners - Most dubious.
- Baird wants US to reassess aid to Israel | International | Jerusalem Post - We need more of this happening.
- 362 - Greek To Me: Mapping Mutual Incomprehension « Strange Maps - Hard to explain, but fun.
- 10,000 Days - Ten thousand days of Mubarak as president!
- Debate Over Ross Title - POMED recaps Ross debate: "envoy" vs. "advisor", geographic reach...
- Dubai welcomes Israeli tennis star - They should have just not let him in - sounds like an awful game: "After he was met off his flight by armed guards, Ram was taken to his hotel and was not allowed to use his mobile phone. The 200 or so spectators arriving to watch the match, played on a court with seating at only one end, were required to leave their cameras and water bottles outside, undergo a search and pass through metal detectors, delaying the start by half an hour." He lost.
- PREVIEW: The Path of Realism or the Path of Failure - Elliott Abrams channels Bibi, gives Salam Fayyad praise he surely does not want, peddles Jordanian option and Gaza is Egyptian solution. Even the sabotage of the Bush administration was not enough for him!
- ‘I know it will be a fierce battle’ - The National Newspaper - Nadia Abou el-Magd interviews Ayman Nour.