Links for April 16th
Links from my del.icio.us account for April 16th:
- Egypt's security services accuse Hizbullah of planning a terrorist attack | Accusing Hizbullah | The Economist - EIU analysis.
- Dar Al Hayat | What is Left of Egypt's Mediation between the Palestinians? - Argues that new Israeli govt, Hamas and Fatah's unwillingness to budge, Egypt's security concerns over Hizbullah all make reconciliation process more distant.
- The IDF can't be satisfied - Haaretz - Israel News - 10% of Israel's budget goes to IDF.
- En Mauritanie, le chef de la junte démissionne - Afrique - Le Monde.fr - Coup leader resigns to he can run for president.
- FT.com / Middle East / Politics & Society - Kuwait stymied by political infighting - "As Kuwait has drawn up plans to transform its economy it has sought out the services of some big guns – from the World Bank to McKinsey, the international consultants, to Tony Blair, the former British prime minister, who has been hired as a government adviser."
- Invisible hands: The secret world of the oil fixer—By Ken Silverstein (Harper's Magazine) - Good profile of a Lebanese oil middleman.
- In Lebanon's wild east, Hezbollah finds itself on left foot - Hizbullah and the druglords.
- When the Brotherhood Supports Iran Asharq Alawsat Newspaper (English) - Sharq al-Awsat comes out against the MB's early position on the Hizbullah-Egypt affair, signaling Saudi displeasure. But then yesterday the MB's parliamentary bloc sided with the NDP on calling Hizbullah's presence in Egypt unnaceptable.
- Egyptian FM: Lieberman not welcome in Egypt - Haaretz - Israel News - "His feet will not step on Egyptian soil as long as he maintains his positions," Aboul Gheit told Russia Today TV.
- Saudis eye Tanzanian farmland - Politics & Economics - ArabianBusiness.com - More Saudi agro-biz ventures in Africa.