Links April 5th to April 6th
Links from my del.icio.us account for April 5th through April 6th:
- ei: Motorola drops bomb fuse unit following boycott campaign - One example of effective Israel boycott campaigning.
- Laila Lalami » About the Book - Lalami's new novel, Secret Son.
- Where is Egypt headed? | Spero News - Dan Kurtzer on the US-Egypt relationship.
- Oil-Rich Arab State Pushes Nuclear Bid With U.S. Help - WSJ.com - Interesting tidbit from this article on UAE's nuclear program: "David Scott is one of the Americans helping to build the nuclear program in the U.A.E. Mr. Scott served as the National Security Council's director for the Arabian Peninsula and North Africa during President Bush's first term. In 2006, he became the director of economic affairs for Abu Dhabi's Executive Affairs Authority, which is run by the crown prince."
- Al-Ahram Weekly | Opinion | Too old school to strike - Hossam Tammam on why the MB won't participate in the April 6 strike (written before their latest statement that they will, which some still doubt.)
- Leaving Tangier | Tahar Ben Jelloun | The Economist - Review of Ben Jelloun's latest book to be translated into English.
- Al-Ahram Weekly | Interview | Gamal El-Banna: A lifetime of Islamic call - Profile of the great anti-Salafist Muslim thinker.
- Saudi Arabia's edgy royal succession | A rising but enigmatic prince | The Economist - This article on Prince Nayef's appointment does an excellent job of highlighting what a gerontocracy Saudi is, with royals holding key positions for decades. And highlighting that Nayef is an extreme conservative.
- Al-Ahram Weekly | Egypt | Electing guidance - Khalil al-Anani says the next MB General Guide will be either Muhammad Habib or Mahmoud Ezzat.
- Al-Ahram Weekly | Egypt | When push comes to shove - The Egypt-Qatar rivalry.
- Mondoweiss: Prominent gentiles must get over their hangups and start criticizing Israel - Okay.
- Egypt police beat, detain 18 protesters | Top News | Reuters - In Kafr al-Sheikh, ahead of 6 April strike.
- Daily News Egypt - ECONOMIC CRISIS TAKES ITS TOLL ON EGYPTIAN WORKERS, SAYS REPORT - "The Center for Trade Union and Workers Service (CTUWS) which published the report, estimates that half a million Egyptians will lose their jobs in 2009."
- Le Quotidien d’Algérie, le journal de l’éveil algérien - Sihem BENSEDRINE, refoulée à l’aéroport d’Alger - Prominent Tunisian activist barred from entering Algeria.
- Ask Secretary Clinton Why the US Continues to Deliver Arms to Israel - "Despite strong evidence of the misuse of U.S. weapons against civilians in Gaza, Amnesty International recently revealed that the United States sent a massive new shipment of arms to Israel. The Wehr Elbe, a ship controlled by the U.S. Military Sealift Command, docked and unloaded several thousand tons of arms on March 22 at the Israeli port of Ashdod. Ask State Department officials why the United States would deliver these arms to Israel."