A list of links on Egypt's ridiculous war on swine. There is a very interesting aspect to this story, highlighted below in in the second-to-last link and in the Egyptian Chronicles post, that this is being grabbed by the government as an opportunity to clean up the urban pig farms around Cairo (used by the zabaleen), such as the one you smell on the 26th July corridor as you exit Mohandiseen. It is fair enough to want to clear these insalubrious areas, but with what compensation for those who will lose their livelihoods? And who will get the extremely valuable land?
- Reuters AlertNet - Egypt starts pig slaughter, some farmers resist
- Egypt: Pop singer tackles swine flu with song - Adnkronos Culture And Media
- Egyptian chronicles: Kill Them All
- Do I have Pig Flu? - Do I have Swine Flu?
- Culling Pigs in Flu Fight, Egypt Angers Herders and Dismays U.N. - NYTimes.com
- Brothers, Chickens And Pigs
- Egypt admits pig cull not anti-flu measure
- Egypt's call to kill pigs amid flu scare ridiculed