Links 27 November 2010
If for some bizarre reason you're interested in following the Egyptian elections, I can recommend following the #EgyElections tag on Twitter or, for English-language coverage, the special election sites of al-Masri al-Youm, the Ahram Portal or Daily News Egypt.
- Egypt pre-election assessment
POMED report on pre-election environment in Egypt. [PDF]
- Chatoyant Crumbs: Egypt's discredited elections blighted by police violence
Jack Schenker looks at the Alex elections through the city's recent history of police murders.
- Turkish FM says he envisions one Israeli-Palestinian state under Ankara’s protection
According to Israeli journos, Turkey sees itself as future protection of Israeli-Palestinian binational state.
- Mr. Mubarak vs. Mr. Obama
WaPo editorial no. 1231 against Mubarak. Or is it in fact against Obama? No similar op-ed against Israel.
- Ahram Online
The new English portal of Al Ahram, the largest Egyptian state newspaper, is up.
- Rabin's son presents his Israeli Peace Initiative - Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News
Son of Yitzhak Rabin proposes two-state solution parallel to Arab initiative. A bit late isn't it?
- Notes RE: The Mauritanian Baʿth « The Moor Next Door
Long post on the history of Baathism in Mauritania. Bad ideas travel far.
- Abu Dhabi and Qatar Build Museums to Recast National Identities - NYTimes.com
NYY on the museum-building spree in the Gulf.
- Iraq’s Troubles Drive Out Many Refugees Who Came Back - NYTimes.com
Iraqi refugees who returned driven out again by lack of jobs, violence.
- The art of elections | Al-Masry Al-Youm: Today's News from Egypt
Good article on electoral sign-makers - who have to check with security before taking clients.
- Free Media Under Siege on Eve of Egypt’s Elections | The Middle East Channel
Egypt's war on free media is not sustainable, says Bahei Hassan.