Links for Feb 7-11 2010
- Divorce, Egyptian Style: Oprah’s Episode on Marriage Around the Globe » Muslimah Media Watch
Features well-known sexologist Heba Kotb, etc.
- Person of the Decade
Haaretz's "most influential person in Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World" is kind of weird.
- Bernard-Henri Lévy caught out by fake philosopher - Telegraph
BHL quotes fictitious writer in new book.
- Syria Comment » The Case for Syria
An argument for Syria in the Israeli-Syrian conflict.
- TelQuel : Le Maroc tel qu'il est
Benchemsi of Morocco's Tel Quel, chief competitor to Le Journal: "notre pays vit une dangereuse régression."
- Robert Fisk: Gaza's defiant tunnellers head deeper underground - Robert Fisk, Commentators - The Independent
- Blogger Boubaker Al-Yadib sentenced to six months in prison - IFEX
For calling for protest about freedom of expression.
- Situation financière de quelques titres de presse marocains - Comme une bouteille jetée à la mer!
Fantastic post brings clarity to Moroccan press after Le Journal's closure.
- Can Gulf states really help Yemen? | Brian Whitaker | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk
Whitaker says GCC and esp. Saudi do not have Yemen's best interests at heart.
- Aerial bombardment: The calibration of destruction | The Economist
Info on bunker-busters and the future of aerial bombing.
- Reformist Trend and Old Guard Battle for Libya's Future Asharq Alawsat Newspaper (English)
This article seems out of date, since Seif does have an official position now.
- Govt-run human rights council shaken up | Al-Masry Al-Youm: Today's News from Egypt
Several regime figures brought in.
- Algeria’s unauthorised boomtown - Le Monde diplomatique - English edition
On Algeria's informal economy.
- The Maghreb refuses to share - Le Monde diplomatique
On the opportunities lost from lack of Maghreb integration.
- Prosecutors begin investigating arrested MB leaders | Al-Masry Al-Youm: Today's News from Egypt
Arrested MB leaders accused of being takfiri — what?!?!
- In Egypt, real men don’t smoke - The National Newspaper
About the new limp cigarette warning on Egyptian cigarette packs.
- Egypt soccer boss: I'd rather starve than coach Israelis - Haaretz - Israel News
Hassan Shehata scores a goal.
- Egypt recalls ambassador from Algeria for 'consultations' - Yahoo! News
He had just returned, but is leaving again because of new attacks.
- FT.com / Global insight - Dubai offered an alternative future
On a call to reshape Dubai, including by offering greater stakes to long-term expats.
- BBC/OU Open2.net - Education & Language - Syrian School
A series of documentaries about four different Syrian schools made the BBC, sounds like a very interesting study.
- M1 Group Bought Half of EFG-Hermes Bank-Audi Stake (Update1) - BusinessWeek
This is worth digging at, since Audi owns largest chunk of Leb's national debt. Was EFG pressured to sell its stake?
- BAE chiefs 'linked to bribes conspiracy' | World news | The Observer
Tip of the iceberg.
- Design Museum Holon | Architecture | Art and design | The Observer
Cool-looking new museum in Israel.
- Anthony Julius on Diana, Dina and the new antisemitism | Interview | Culture | The Observer
Yet another book that attempts to slander anti-Zionist with the anti-Semitic label. It's a shame, as it hurts the book's history of Judeophobia in the UK.
- A Reporter At Large : Azzam the American : The New Yorker
Fascinating profile of American al-Qaeda spokesman: he was a classic cerebral loner and loved death metal.
- Daily News Egypt - Egypt-Israel Gas Deal Expanded To Cover More Exports
More gas, at higher (still secret) prices even though Egypt has growing worries about domestic consumption.
- FT.com / Media - Hollywood casts spell on son of Gaddafi
Another Qadhafi son, Saadi, finds ways to spend the millions his daddy stole from the Lybian people.
- NYT public editor: Bronner should be reassigned - The Majlis
- Open Letter To The Opposition Leaders « Democratic Republic of Iran
Letter from an Iranian demanding that opposition leaders call for the complete overthrow of theocracy in Iran.
- FT.com / Media - Twitter works on technology to evade censors
Targeted at Iran, China...