Links for Feb 5-6 2010
- They Tried to Make Mohammed al-Awfi Go to Rehab | Foreign Policy
Good piece on Saudi rehab center, and the story of what Gitmo produces.
- Video: Theatre in the shadow of the Palestinian Nakba | Stage | guardian.co.uk
Palestinian playwright Amir Nizar Zuabi.
- Al-Ahram Weekly | Egypt | Changing Brotherhood faces
Details on the MB's new leaders.
- Kathleen Christison: Zionism Laid Bare
Review of Shahid Alam's "Israeli Exceptionalism: The Destabilizing Logic of Zionism".
- Rep. Mike Pence: Israel should dictate U.S. policy - The Majlis
When elected American officials are more loyal to Israel than America.
- Aida Alami: Morocco's Leading Independent Magazine Is Shut Down
Good op-ed from a member of Le Journal's staff.
- Inanities: Guide to writing about Egypt
Inanities, reliably funny as always. The linked Tim Sebastian op-ed is just bizarre.
- Direct Quotes: Bashar Assad: News Desk : The New Yorker
Seymour Hersh's memo from his interview with Bashar al-Assad.
- Arabs, gay rights and modernity
Interesting post on the Whitaker, Massad and now Ibish debate on the notion of gay rights in the Arab world.
- EGYPT: Minimum Wage Not Enough - IPS ipsnews.net
On setting a minimum wage in Egypt.
- Egypt: 2 editors punished for dealing with Israel - Yahoo! News
More tokenism from Egypt's anti-normalizers — why don't they join the BDS campaign instead and start harassing Salah Diab and Naguib Sawiris, who do business with Israel?
- La Princesse de Clèves: Identité improbable
On a new biography of Egyptian-French-Jewish communist Henri Curiel.
- Facebook | U.S. Department of State: Engaging the Community on Foreign Affairs
State Dept. on Facebook. Ask them about why Obama lets Bibi humiliate America.
- Middle East Online | Egypt tightens penalties for relics robbers, smugglers
New antiquities law passed after controversy over its restrictions.