Links for March 17-20 2010
Listen to Leonard Cohen's "Everybody Knows", to clips from "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." while you read this: Jerusalem, Settlements, and the "Everybody Knows" Fallacy | The Middle East Channel
And the rest...
- Security Council Al-Qaida and Taliban Sanctions Committee Removes Names of Three Entities from Consolidated List
Youssef Nada, leading MB financier, removed from UN list of terrorism supporters.
- Norman G. Finkelstein » Alan Dershowitz enters 3-step program for recovering Zionists
Funny Youtube pastiche of that funny Youtube video about Britney.
- James Baker's advice for Obama on forging Middle East peace - Haaretz - Israel News
Baker: just cut the aid to Israel, stupid.
- Arab Reform Bulletin - Political Crises but Few Alternatives in Algeria
What after Bouteflika?
- Op-Ed Contributor - For Israel and America, a Disagreement, Not a Crisis - NYTimes.com
The lies and fabrication we have come to expect from Michael Oren.
- Sheikh Jarrah's peaceful protests | Seth Freedman | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk
Problematic piece: not sure non-violence can work against non-stop violence and expansionism.
- Justice for All: The Struggle for Worker Rights in Egypt
Report on strikes by Joel Beinin.
- How Iraqi Oil Is Changing the World - By Stephen Glain | Foreign Policy
"Iraq could match Saudi Arabia's daily crude output of 10 million to 12 million barrels within the next seven years, up from just 2.5 million barrels today."
- PalFest: Soueif wins Darwish award
With SA poet Breyton Breytenbach.
- Hezbollah's Extreme Makeover in Downtown Dahiyeh - By Hanin Ghaddar | Foreign Policy
Hizbullah provides entertainment and luxury in Dahiyeh.
- Rafsanjani Makes His Move – By Geneive Abdo | Foreign Policy
- Morocco: A sunny disposition | The Economist
Solar power plants in Ouarzazate.
- Mithly.net -- Moroccan Queer Magazine
Morocco's first gay mag.
- Libya Welcomes Gaddafi Compensation Offer by Swiss Asharq Alawsat Newspaper (English)
Swiss caving in...
- The Kaaba in Sinai Asharq Alawsat Newspaper (English)
"Writer Sayyed al Qimni has called for building a “kaaba” in Sinai for all religions so that people of all denominations and religions from all over the world could perform their pilgrimage any time of year." Reminds me of the terrible Chahine movie al-Akhr.
- New Finding Puts Origins of Dogs in Middle East - NYTimes.com
- CIA director says secret attacks in Pakistan have hobbled al-Qaeda - washingtonpost.com
AQ in Pak apparently called for Bin Laden to come to the rescue.
- Did Addington Oppose 9/11 Commission Questions to Avoid Independent Evaluation of Torture Program? | Emptywheel
- FT.com / Europe - Algeria calls for united gas supply action
Another sign that Boutef wants to go back to 2008 income levels.
- Bandwagon grows for ElBaradei to stand for Egyptian presidency - The National Newspaper
Yours truly quoted in this piece my Wafdist friends will not like.
- Information Evolution in the Arab World: CCAS 2010 Symposium
Interesting conference on Arab media taking place at Georgetown.