Links for March 21-23 2010
- Middle East Report 254: Speaking of Water by George R. Trumbull IV
On "virtual water" in the Gulf.
- Asia Times | Hezbollah: Craving war, not wanting it
- Middle East Report Online - The Race Is On: Muslims and Arabs in the American Imagination by Moustafa Bayoumi
- North Sinai: Security Challenges and Ethnic Tensions - TIME
Interesting interview with new North Sinai governor, formerly director of military intelligence.
- Informed Comment: Is Iraq slipping into Semi-Authoritarianism?
Juan Cole on democratization in Iraq and elsewhere in the region, or lack thereof.
- Yezid Sayigh on Hamas, Fayyad
Helena Cobban's notes on Sayigh talk about Palestine.
- جمع اليد
Cool Arabic Boycott-Divestment-Sanctions cartoon graphics.
- Mauritania formally severs diplomatic ties with Israel
Good for them.
- `Current Knesset is the most racist in Israeli history`
"The Israeli government passed at least 21 bills aimed at discriminating against the country`s Arab citizens"
- EU official to Israel: Jerusalem is not Tel Aviv
- How to read the new US-Israel understanding
- Is this any way to run a Jewish democracy?
AIPAC won't give credentials to critical journalists, bloggers and J Street.
- Egypt's government to restrict NGO vote monitoring
No repeat of 2005 NGO monitoring?
- Aladdin Elaasar: Is Egypt's Economy in Crisis? (The Huffington Post)
This guy is a clown - practically every stat in this article is either wrong or out of date.
- Google angers China by shifting service to Hong Kong
Next they should move it to Taiwan!
- Asharq Al-Awsat Talks to New Al-Azhar Head Dr. Ahmed al-Tayeb
- In Middle East, Ban hails 'heroism and quiet courage' of Gazans
That's nice. Now how about stressing illegality of blockade and taking action against Israel and Egypt?
- Activists form another association for change | Al-Masry Al-Youm: Today's News from Egypt
What, they couldn't join existing ones?
- America Abroad Media | Yemen in Focus
Radio documentary on Yemen.
- Letter - A Mideast Strategy - An Egyptian View - NYTimes.com
Answer to Tom Friedman from Egyptian consul in NYC - pretty good actually.
- OIG Inspection Report on US Embassy in Egypt
Says $900,000 provided to train State Security, poor enforcement of Leahy Amendment for oversight of aid to human rights abusers. (Here's an alternate link.)
- Middle East Report 254: The Politics of Subsidy Reform in Iran by Kevan Harris
Ahmedinejad's economic failures.
- Gaza Crisis Inspires The Human Scale at Joe's Pub March 17 - Playbill.com
Lawrence Wright's one-man show on Gaza,
- Taxing the Israeli Occupation - Project Syndicate
The EU needs to make it expensive for the Israelis to continue with the occupation.
- 'Just World News' with Helena Cobban: The new Baker initiative
On a new report for two-state solution backed by James Baker.
- Egypt's Olympic football team postpones trip to Palestine
- Female Saudi Poet, Known for Controversial Verses, Reaches Game Show Final - The Lede Blog - NYTimes.com
- LRB · Tariq Ali · Unhappy Yemen
"Yemen is a proper country, unlike the imperial petrol stations dotted across other parts of the Arabian Peninsula, where the ruling elites live in hurriedly constructed skyscrapers designed by celebrity architects, flanked by shopping malls displaying every Western brand, and serviced by wage-slaves from South Asia and the Philippines."