Links for April 10-15 2010
Did I forget the links again? Do read the first link, very nice local reporting on an issue that's long nagged at me: the barricades surrounding the US Embassy in Cairo's Garden City neighborhood, which is also where I live. The permanent barriers and checkpoints are really getting tiresome and have depressed this part of Central Cairo that should be vibrant. I am relatively unaffected since I don't drive, and can easily cycle (yes I am the one of the crazy khawagas who cycles across Cairo) past the barriers. But it's really rather bad for the neighborhood, increasing traffic density through small streets and blocking off a thoroughfare in Lazoghly St. It's just not very nice for local residents, who of course were never consulted in the process. Not to mention the image of America it gives: it looks like the second biggest embassy in the world, in a key regional ally, is in a Green Zone. And it's not only the Americans, the nearby Brits are to blame too (and perhaps, a little further off, the Canadians and Belgians too.)
Also, there's a new movie about Garden City that I'm dying to see.
- US embassy in Cairo drives out the locals | Al-Masry Al-Youm: Today's News from Egypt
The Garden City Liberation Front shall triumph!
- Middle East International Film Festival: "Neighbors" (Tahani Rached, Egypt)
I want to see this film about Garden City, where I live.
- Hamas says group wants to maintain cease-fire
For the record - remember this during the next war.
- Hamas orders Gaza smuggling tunnels shut
Very odd - just after Israel's alert about Sinai?
- La « Mal-Vie »: Rapport Sur La Situation Des Droits Économiques, Sociaux Et Culturels En Algérie
Report on the Algerian malaise.
- Interior Ministry to compensate Islamist torture victims | Al-Masry Al-Youm: Today's News from Egypt
LE10m to the thousands imprisoned over 20 years, some without trial.
- Maroc: la position du missionnaire devient de plus en plus inconfortable « Ibn Kafka's obiter dicta
Ibn Kafka on the Morocco missionary affair.
- Mohammed ElBaradei Has No 'Flirtation' With the Muslim Brotherhood | The Middle East Channel
Samer Shehata demolishes Ilan Berman's post on ElBaradei.
- The Thirsty Fish
Interesting economics and Iran blog.
- 90 NGOs in 17 governorates joined “The coalition of freeing civil work in Egypt” « The Egyptian Organization for Human Rights
Coalition against new NGO law.
- Exclusive: Images reveal devastation in Yemen’s hidden conflict in the north | Amnesty International
Aerial bombing destroyed homes in North Yemen.
- World Bank urges Israel to ease West Bank limits (AFP)
And how about Gaza?
- Rabbi: Make foreign workers accept Laws of Noah - Ynetnews
Just like the Saudis.
- Setting the record straight on Caspian Makan | GlobalPost
On Neda Soltan soi-disant fiancé.
- Africa’s Drug Problem - NYTimes.com
Fascinating story about West Africa's narcostates and cocaine traffic to EU.
- Ill Fares the Land - The New York Review of Books
Invaluable Tony Judt.
- IDF order will enable mass deportation from West Bank - Haaretz - Israel News
This is criminally insane. Deportation to where?
- Is this where the holy land is headed? - The National Newspaper
Imagining Israel/Palestine in 2027.