Links for April 24-29 2010
My favourite memory of Fred is a story he used to tell about meeting a Yemeni somewhere out in the wilds who asked which tribe he belonged to. Fred replied that his tribe was the Bani Tanwir (the "Sons of Enlightenment").
- My life in Abu Zaabal and Tora
Intriguing testimony by Egyptian Jew interned during 67 war.
- «قصور الثقافة»: «ألف ليلة وليلة» لا تخدش الحياء وسنعيد طبعها | المصري اليوم، أخبار اليوم من مصر
Row over banning 1001 nights, again.
- EGYPT: School curricula inciting extremism to be changed | Babylon & Beyond | Los Angeles Times
Reforming religious education: do it while the MB is down.
- Egyptian FM calls Israel 'enemy' - Israel News, Ynetnews
Whoops. Mistake or part of overture to Syria?
- Why Sudan's leading opposition party threw the presidential election. - By Dan Morrison - Slate Magazine
- Georgetown University: Muslims Today: A Radical Reform
John Esposito vs. Tariq Ramadan.
- Lebanese Municipal Elections On Time, But Reform Delayed
Karam Karam on the inability of Lebanon to get beyond family politics.
- Egypt Sells $1.5 Billion of Bonds in International Debt Markets - BusinessWeek
Not what you expect in a country whose next two years are uncertain.
- Egypt’s Said Sets $2.43 Mln Record at Dubai Art Sale (Update1) - Bloomberg.com
Mahmoud Said painting gets record sale.
- FT.com / FT Series - Wave of optimism falters in Mediterranean
Negative takes on Euromed zone.
- Book Review: Algeria since 1989 « The Moor Next Door
New book on Algeria.
- The myth of a moderate Tunisia | The Middle East Channel
Always glad to see a reminder that Ben Ali is a creepy fascist.
- Jeruselem and Elie Wiesel by Daniel Seideman | The Middle East Channel
Calling Elie Weisel's bullshit.
- Conoco to Exit Abu Dhabi Gas Project - WSJ.com
Opportunity for gas-mad Exxon, possibly.
- MTN in Talks With Orascom - WSJ.com
South Africa's MTN could acquire Orascom - is Sawiris overstreched again?
- Eric Margolis: Egypt: The Next Volcano?
Yet another completely misinformed, factually wrong, analytically flawed HuffPo article on Egypt.
- Towards a Sustainable Security in the Maghreb
Report from the Thomas More Institute.
- Al Jazeera English - Egypt convicts Hezbollah suspects
Life sentences, handy for future negotiations.
- Hariri works the phones and talks Scuds
- Egypt - Succession and Political Reform: Monarchs of the Nile
Maha Azzam at Chatham House.
- 44 - Jones apologizes for joke about Jewish merchant
Wrong audience, Mr Jones.
- Pitchfork: Album Reviews: Omar Khorshid: Guitar El Chark
I want this album.
- Tipping Point? Palestinians And The Search For A New Strategy
ICG's new report.
- Webpage aggregating all the popular newspaper articles (and more)
- Jeffrey Feltman's testimony to Congress on Syria
"We are determined to sharpen the choice for Syria."
- Egypt: Mubarak’s Succession Strategy- STRATFOR Publication, April 21, 2010 « AEA
STRATFOR, just making stuff up.
- All eyes on ElBaradei in America | Al-Masry Al-Youm: Today's News from Egypt
ElBaradei and Amreeka.
- The Arabic language: A God-given way to communicate | The Economist
Picks up where The National recently went.