Links for May 16-23 2010
I'm halfway through a trip to New York and Rabat, with not much time to blog. Yesterday I got around to putting up a bunch of links for the past week, although I'm sure there's a lot I missed. Here are they are...
- New report about carcinogens and fetotoxic materials in Gaza war wounded
It never ends.
- West doesn't want a democratic Middle East | The Japan Times Online
Which may lead to, ultimately, an undemocratic West.
- The Muslim Brotherhood's (and Egypt's) Qutb Conundrum - Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
This piece raises an important and interesting question but I wonder: maybe the MB clings on to the Qutb of "In the Shadow of the Quran" and "Social Justice in Islam" rather than the one of "Milestones"?
- Palestine: the forgotten mandate - Le Monde diplomatique - English edition
Read this: "With the scholarly work of the Israeli new historians Ilan Pappe and Benny Morris, plus Catling’s records, the truth surrounding the creation of the state of Israel becomes clearer: the Jewish Agency provisional government did not accept the Jewish state designated under UN resolution 181 with the intention of abiding by the General Assembly goal of providing a state for two peoples in the land of Palestine. Rather, it sought to use it as a means of gaining control of all the land and ridding it of its indigenous people so far as possible."
- Christopher Hitchens: 'I was right and they were wrong' | Books | The Guardian
Hmm, not really. His new book is well-written, as always, but self-indulgent.
- Youth Against Fashionism « THE BOURSA EXCHANGE
TBA is back to fight the new trend of wearing shorts in Egypt - ma yenfaash!
New site on Aran-Israeli conflict.
- BBC News - Saudi editor Jamal Khashoggi resigns from of al-Watan
Won't miss him but he went for wrong reason - criticizing Salafism. These Saudis and Salafis are a threat to humanity.
- Mélange des genres en Arabie saoudite : quand la photo est bonne ! | Culture et politique arabes
Good post on the Saudi royals' finally having their picture taken with women.
- Lebanon and Syria agree to back Hizbollah - The National Newspaper
It's either one extreme or the other in Lebanon, never the middle ground.
- I'm baffled by Noam Chomsky's contradictions on Palestine - Ali Abunimah
Abunimah goes after Chomsky on the Fayyad issue. I don't wholly agree but food for thought.
- China-Arab Cooperation Forum and Hunan’s garlic farmers
All that hummus, made with Chinese garlic?
- ElBaradei’s prolonged absences from public confuse followers - The National Newspaper
People are getting nervous...
- Al-Ahram Weekly | Culture | Found in translation
Renowned Egyptian translator Bashir El-Sebaie wins prize.
- The Failure of the American Jewish Establishment | The New York Review of Books
The article that everyone is talking about.
- Israel impatient with international effort to thwart Iran's nuclear ambition - WaPo
I'm pretty impatient with international efforts to thwart Israel's territorial ambitions.
- Beware the Warnings of al Qaeda - International - The Atlantic
Good post on taking Morocco's allegations of recent "al-Qaeda" arrests with a grain of salt.
- South Sudan president sworn in; referendum is next
Crucial year ahead for Sudan.
- Look how they portray Israel: that it is patient for letting Obama try sanctions before bombing.
To fix the NPT and tackle the Iran question, you have to address the problems of Israel and India.
- Fluffy Farhad By Negar Azimi | Bidoun Magazine
On controversial Iranian artist Farhad Moshiri - a good read.
- gary's choices | Giving the finger to Iran (and Turkey and. . .)
Gary Sick has a very good piece on the bad timing of the new sanctions against Iran.
- Head of Egypt`s mint resigns after cash is stolen - Reuters -
- From Fermilab, a New Clue to Explain Human Existence? - NYTimes.com
Reality can't seem to make up its mind.
- Cairo 2030: New vision, new city
A call for the government to step up to the plate.