Links for May 23-28 2010
- Blame the Grand Mufti - Le Monde diplomatique
Almost picked up Gilbert Achcar's new book in NYC - wish I had! (I posted about this here.)
- Lebanon’s Politics: The Sunni Community and Hariri’s Future Current - International Crisis Group
Says Hariri should lead into post-sectarianism - high expectations!
- BBC News - Inside the radio station helping Egyptian divorcees
Another sign that society is moving much faster than governments in the region.
- Burkas and Birkins by Lindy West
Killer review of SATC2. I was right, it is anti-human.
- Is the new Sex and the City movie anti-Muslim?
No, it's anti-human.
- The travels of ibn Rakha - The National Newspaper
Fantastically funny and well done - Ibn Battuta mall in Dubai, in the style of the Tangerine himself.
- The dig dividing Jerusalem | The Guardian
Adhaf Soueif on an archeological pretext for Palestinian expulsions.
- The memos and minutes that confirm Israel's nuclear stockpile | World news | guardian.co.uk
No kidding: "[In letter] Peres says Israel and the South African apartheid government share a "common hatred of injustice" and urges a "close identity of aspirations and interests"
- AFP: Ramallah boom belies fragility of Palestinian economy
"If for some reason foreign aid should suddenly stop or diminish, government spending would slump and the economy would simply go back to zero," says Nasser Abdelkarim of Bir Zeit university's economics department.
- Bahrain's first sex shop owner appears in court
Married mother of three says her business halal - I agree!
- U.S. Is Said to Expand Secret Actions in Mideast - NYTimes.com
One important thing about this is the accumulation of power at CENTCOM and the military.
- the value of 'special friends' ..... | Your Democracy
Impatience with the lobby in Australia.
- Tourist stabbed in Egypt
Funny how in Egypt attackers always have "history of mental instability."
- FT.com / UK - Israel war drill fuels Mideast concern
So much swagger these days...
- Hezbollah vows to bomb ships in event of new war with Israel
What, Hizbullah has a navy now?
- Israel PM to get Washington invite: reports - Yahoo! News
"The invitation was expected to be handed over by [Rahm] Emanuel, who is on a private visit to Israel with his family for his son's bar mitzvah."
- Roy Greenslade: Murder of young Iraqi Kurdistan journalist | Media | guardian.co.uk
An overlooked area.
- Congrès AMDH Le PADS et le PSU se retirent de la direction | Le Soir Echos
Morocco's most important human rights org split over W. Sahara.
- MEI Editor's Blog: Facebook Has More Arab Members than All Arab Newspaper Readers Combined
- MEI Editor's Blog: Odd Disconnect Between Headline and Photo?
- MESS Report / Key U.S. figure in Israel-PA talks, Lt. General Dayton, steps down
Dayton out by the fall.
- ‘Commentary’ calls Walt an ‘intellecual terrorist’ and Khalidi an ‘anti-Semite’
Rob Satloff and Norm Podhoretz up to their usual tricks.
- Crazy Country: Vanunu returns to prison
Hero whistleblower Mordechai Vananu jailed again.
- Colours In Cultures
- Yemen's Crackdown on the Press - Pulitzer Center Untold Stories
Journalists imprisoned for reporting on southern separatists.
- Jesus' General: Shades of terror
One of my favorite satirical blogs makes a good point.
- FT.com / Telecoms - Vodafone points to exit from Egypt
Some reasonable analysis for the move.
- Fifth Columns in the Gulf? | The Middle East Channel
Iran spies in Kuwait. MidEast states spying on each other? Business as usual!
- Hamas: We caught Egyptian spy in Gaza
Also anger at Egyptian treatment of Pals connected to Hamas in Egypt.
- The Mideastwire Blog
Blog by Nic Noe provides some of service's translations from Arabic press, and more.
- Israeli settlers burn 200 fruit trees in Hebron
"done under the guard of Israeli soldiers"