Links for July 9-14 2010
- The Situation of Human Rights in Egypt 2009
EOHR's latest report.
- Obama's Backseat to Mideast Peace Talks Before Elections
Tony Karon in Time says it all: "President Obama's powers of spin will be sorely tested in the coming weeks as he tries to sustain the appearance of progress in his efforts to restart an Israeli-Palestinian peace process."
- Sic Semper Tyrannis : A Death Rattle for the Lobby? - Cieran
A hopeful take on that newest Israel lobby.
- Egyptian court imposes sentence in 1996 libel case - CPJ
Farcical — a clearly this is done because Hussein is active on Gaza.
- Middle East Report Online: “We Are All Jordan”…But Who Is We? by Curtis Ryan
On Jordanians and Palestinians, and Jordanian Palestinians.
- Is Yemen the Next Afghanistan? - NYTimes.com
No, Yemen is the new Yemen.
- MEI Editor's Blog: Summertime Arab Coups of the 50s, 60s and 70s: Was it the Weather?
More reflections on why Arab coups tend to take place in the summer. I think it's to avoid student mobilizations.
- Zero Out Aid to Egypt and Israel - Ideas Special Report - The Atlantic
An excellent idea, but the writer should have spent more time on the outrage of aid to Israel, which is much bigger than aid to Egypt.
- FT.com / Middle East - Iranian scientist returns from US
What a bizarre story.
- Global Voices in English » Morocco: The Complexities of Language
On Arabic, Morocco's darija and suffocation by language.
- TOUS Pour un Menu Big Mac à 20 Dhs à Oujda : Ma réponse à un parlementaire sur la subvention du Big Mac !
Why is Morocco subsidizing McDonald's?
- Egypt's recurring food price crisis | Al-Masry Al-Youm
Some good stuff in there on recent food policies, although I am skeptical that food self-sufficiency is possible or even desirable.
- Dismal exam scores cause outrage | Al-Masry Al-Youm
I think this is rather good, actually.
- Washington’s state of denial claims yet more casualties - The National
On L'Affaire Octavia Nasr.
- Wonk Room » New Neocon Israeli Propaganda Outfit Run By Opponent of Two States
Because we really needed another lobby appendage.
- FT.com / Middle East - Tunisia accused of harassing its critics
New law penalizes attempts to putting foreign pressure on the regime.
- Israelis sue Al-Jazeera over Lebanon war reporting
Hahahaha: "The plaintiffs seek $1.2 billion in damages."