Links for July 20-26 2010
- Saber Kushour: 'My conviction for "rape by deception" has ruined my life' | The Observer
This story is so unbelievable.
- Pro-Gamal Mubarak campaign hits streets | Al-Masry Al-Youm
"Popular Support Coalition for Gamal Mubarak."
- World's Druze wrap up first congress in Lebanon
Cool look: "Traditional Druze are recognisable by their white knit caps, handle-bar moustaches and black sherwals, or baggy trousers."
- Can Egypt Change? | The Middle East Channel
Lisa Anderson, Michele Dunne and Steve Cook say it mostly already has.
- He impersonated a human - Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News
Great take by Gideon Levy on "rape" case.
- Interview with Virginia Wannabe Harakat al-Shabab al-Mujahideen Recruit Zachary Chesser, "Abu Talhah al-Amriki"
Insight into American takfiri.
- The American Conservative -- Thought Leader
About "Commentary" magazine — very interesting.
- Iraq: The Impasse | The New York Review of Books
"It is easy to underestimate how much fear can obstruct a society’s recovery from horrific violence or repression, or both; and fear now dominates Iraq as its leaders try to make a new start after decades of a ruthless tyranny, its violent removal, and the chaotic aftermath."
- Frum's Case For Israel | Politics | The American Scene
- Arab Jailed for Having Sex with Israeli Woman | loonwatch.com
Convicted of "rape by deception" for lying to woman — and messing with Israel's racial purity taboos, I guess.
- Presbyterians Tone Down Report On Israel After Jewish Lobbying – Forward.com
The Christians who aren't doomsday fanatics speak out and the lobby clamps down.
- A Mosque Maligned - Opinionator Blog
NYT's Robert Wright speaks out on the witchhunt on the Cordoba Center.
- Freeman on Israel: Asset or Liability?
Great piece by Chas Freeman, on the liability side.
- Lee Smith's Hatchet Job | Stephen M. Walt
The Crazy Horse reaches a new low.
- Letter from a Sinai Bedouin: We do not hate our homeland | Al-Masry Al-Youm
Written by Bedouin leader in hiding.
- Egypt's regime has more supporters than we think | Al-Masry Al-Youm
Another great one by Chobaki: "The power of this regime actually lies in its very weakness as a government."
- Why Egyptians don't revolt: A flawed question | Al-Masry Al-Youm
Excellent op-ed by Amr Chobaki.
- Israel-Turkey axis turned on its head
Chris Zambelis says relations will continue to deteriorate.
- Bombshell Report: 550 IDF Officers And Soldiers Interrogated About Possible War Crimes In Gaza
"550 officers and soldiers who participated in Israel’s assault on the Gaza Strip in late 2008 and early 2009 have been investigated by IDF military police for possible war crimes."