Links for August 17-20 2010
- Timothy Winter: Britain's most influential Muslim - and it was all down to a peach - Profiles, People - The Independent
"In a Christian context, sexuality is traditionally seen as a consequence of the Fall, but for Muslims, it is an anticipation of paradise. So I can say, I think, that I was validly converted to Islam by a teenage French Jewish nudist." (You just have to read it.)
- Saudi Arabian judge asks hospitals to paralyse man | The Guardian
Let's hope the doctors are not as barbaric as the judges.
- Mauritania Floods | The Moor Next Door
On the recent flooding.
- Controversy over extension of presidential power in Tunisia | Al-Masry Al-Youm: Today's News from Egypt
Tajdid and Tawreeth in Tunisia.
- Egypt reform campaign says nearing million backers
770,000 signatures and counting for ElBaradei movement.
- A rather depressing mud fight | Life and style | The Guardian
BDS and the Israeli cosmetics co. Ahava.
- Wonk Room » Steven Rosen’s Wonderland Road Map
Taken down of Rosen's Bush nostalgia regarding Israel/Palestine.
- Israel, Palestinians 'very, very close' to direct talks: US (AFP)
But no one thinks this means they are anywhere close to an agreement.
- U.S. support for Israel is decreasing, new poll shows - Haaretz
Not fast enough.
- Brotherhood TV drama hits a nerve in Egypt - The National
MB upset with its soap opera representation.
- Palestinian in Turkish embassy drama 'ex-Israel agent' (AFP)
Wouldn't be so sure about that "ex-".
- Role reversal Saudi comedy provokes anger among male population - Telegraph
Tash ma tash strikes again!
- Les petits secrets de la censure Tunisienne | ReadWriteWeb France
On web censorship in Tunisia.
- Obama’s communication problem | Al-Masry Al-Youm
My column on Cordoba House.
- Terrorist tapes found under CIA desk
Showing interrogation of alleged 9/11 plotter rendited to Morocco.
- Annals of History: Invaders : The New Yorker
Great piece on the Mongols.
- King Tut at Times Square: Ancient Disneyland | The Economist
On the King Tut exhibit in NYC.
- Lebanon grants Palestinian refugees right to work
Important and long-overdue.
- New Syrian Brotherhood leader announces an end to truce with regime | Al-Masry Al-Youm
Bayanouni replaced, new leader more confrontational.
- Arms to Israel « LRB blog
Hugh Miles on the workarounds for UK weapon sales to Israel
- What Hamas is really afraid of - Haaretz
Amira Hass on Hamas' repression.
- Egypt Steps Up Effort to Snuff Out Smoking - WSJ.com
The war on tobacco.
- FT.com - Iran’s new deceptions at sea must be punished
Stuart Levey, the US Treasury hawk holdover from Bush.
- Book Review: The Black Nile - WSJ.com
Huge Pope reviews Dan Morrison.
- Female officer poses for Facebook in front of Palestinian prisoners | The Observers
A charming people.