Links for July 26 - August 3 2010
I forgot the links... and perhaps more later today.
- Sudan Human Security Baseline Assessment
A lot of info about Sudan.
- Peres sparks U.K. backlash after labeling England anti-Semitic - Haaretz
What an arrogant, murderous bastard.
- UAE, Saudi to block BlackBerry on security fears
Because they can't track them. Which means they are tracking everything else.
- The “Summer Camp Of Destruction:” Israeli High Schoolers Assist The Razing Of A Bedouin Town
- Delayed Egypt-Gaza security barrier called 'a huge failure'
Could be disinfo, but: "inspectors have found more than 200 holes in the wall breached by Gaza tunnel builders."
- BBC - BBC Radio 4 Programmes - Saturday Play, The White Chameleon
Play by Christopher Hampton, about his childhood in Alexandria.
- U.S. nears key step in European defense shield against Iranian missiles
Because Iranians so eager to launch missiles at EU.
- A war of words: Arabs and the Holocaust - The National
"Achcar cites Peter Novick, who notes in his excellent book, The Holocaust in American Life, that in the four-volume Encyclopedia of the Holocaust, al Husseini’s entry is longer than those for Goebbels, Göring, Himmler, Heydrich and Eichmann, and second in length of all the biographical articles, but only by a bit, to the entry for Hitler."
- Lee Smith Ups The Ante - The Daily Dish | By Andrew Sullivan
Lee Smith's slow-motion implosion continues.
- YouTube - Casa Connect I'm from Morocco HD itoubmusic.
- Coffee libel in Egypt
Yet another Israeli whine against a perfectly legitimate boycott.
- Stop the blogging ambassadors | Oliver Miles | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk
A good idea — blogging makes diplomats neither cool nor particularly informative to the public.
- Tea Parties, Glenn Beck Protest Six Flags' 'Muslim Day' | The Atlantic Wire
It gets crazier and crazier.
- TIME Cover Depicts the Disturbing Plight of Afghan Women - TIME
- B'Tselem - Army uses legal measures to quell demonstrations against the Separation Barrier
Israel strikes against non-violent Palestinians.
- J'espère que vous lirez cette lettre…
Letter from a Franco-Palestinian abandoned in Israeli jails.
- Who Owns General Petraeus? by Philip Giraldi -- Antiwar.com
Petraeus cozying up with the neocons.
- Obama Administration Pushing To Expand U.S. Arms Exports By Gutting Approval Process
Obama wants more weapons sold to allies. Open your wallets, Arabs!
- Human rights in Tunisia: No to opposition | The Economist
Creepy Ben Ali, creepy Eurocrats.
- America’s Next War « The Mezze – المزة
"Rhetorikastan is the next war of necessity."
- Military Action Against Iran: Impact and Effects | Oxford Research Group
- Pre-state Jewish undergrounds enjoy a renaissance among settlers - Haaretz
Renaissance? The entire military policy is based on those groups.
- What Does “Reform” Mean in Saudi Arabia?
A different mood, not fundamental change.
- Ramin and Rokni Haerizadeh: Brothers in exile | The Economist
"In Iran, it's essential to appreciate the absurd. The general perception of contemporary artists is that they are insane, or atheists, or insane atheists."
- Haim Saban to CBS: Cancel Oliver Stone's Showtime Series | TheWrap.com
Saban and Ari Emanuel put pressure over Stone's obviously completely erroneous statements on Zionist influence of the media. There is no lobby, move on.
- Israel linked to exiled sheikh's bid for 'coup' in Gulf emirate of RAK | The Guardian
Conspiracy? What conspiracy?
- To avert disaster, stop isolating Hamas
Excellent op-ed by Chris Patten.
- Middle East Report Online: Travesty in Progress: Omar Khadr and the US Military Commissions by Lisa Hajjar
The case of the youngest Gitmo detainee.
- The Questioner Matters, Not Just the Question - Economix Blog
In Morocco, respondents to survey on religion answered differently depending on whether questioner was wearing hijab.
- David Cameron: Israeli blockade has turned Gaza strip into a 'prison camp' | Politics | guardian.co.uk
Better than anything Blair or Brown ever said.
- Egypt police on trial for brutality - Al Jazeera English
On Khaled Said trial, which started today.
- CNN, Shirley Sherrod, and cable news ratings : The New Yorker
About the decline of CNN.
- Toxic legacy of US assault on Fallujah 'worse than Hiroshima' - Middle East, World - The Independent
"Iraqi doctors in Fallujah have complained since 2005 of being overwhelmed by the number of babies with serious birth defects, ranging from a girl born with two heads to paralysis of the lower limbs. They said they were also seeing far more cancers than they did before the battle for Fallujah between US troops and insurgents."
- Why Jeff Goldberg Is Losing It « P U L S E
MJ Rosenberg says Goldberg is preparing to do on Iran what did on Iraq.
- France upgrades diplomatic ties with Palestinians (AP)