Links August 4-6 2010
I am thinking of visiting Mauritania in the next few weeks. If anyone has tips or insight about the place, please let me know. Now for the links...
- Obama Sent a Secret Letter to Iraq's Top Shiite Cleric - By Barbara Slavin | Foreign Policy
Obama seeks object to emulate?
- The U.S. Military Spends Trillions for Oil - By Peter Maass | Foreign Policy
And has for a long time.
- We’re All Part of the Masterplan « The Moorish Wanderer
On Morocco's royal plans.
- Keep anti-terrorism and theology apart | Brian Whitaker
On the recent leak of a CT strategy in UK drafted by anti-Islamists.
- Calling Gaza a prison camp is an understatement | Laila El-Haddad
Siege is not on goods, it's a siege on freedom of movement.
- Barack Obama's plan for Iran
Obama explains himself.
- IRIN Middle East | EGYPT: Growing protests over water shortages | Middle East | Egypt | Early Warning Environment Water & Sanitation | Feature
Very useful roundup.
- Music fails to chime with Islamic values, says Iran's supreme leader | The Guardian
Overthrow him now.
- "fraudulent appeal of Marxism" (oh, how I miss the fraudulent appeal of Marxism in the Middle East)
Angry Arab has a great quote from Margaret Thatcher.
- Gamal Mubarak holds closed-door meeting on cultural policy | Al-Masry Al-Youm
- Nasrallah: Israel assassinated Hariri and we will provide evidence « P U L S E
Translation of Nasrallah's speech.
- Arab Satellite Broadcasting: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
620 satellite channels in the Arab world.
- Drums of War: Israel and the “Axis of Resistance”
New report by International Crisis Group
- Circle of media repression widens over Tunisia’s history
CPJ on media in Tunisia.
- Will Israel's New Archive Policy Set Back a Generation of Scholarship? - The Chronicle of Higher Education
Interview with Benny Morris on closure of archive to scholars.
- Mubarak’s regime may be a victim of its own success - The National
- BBC - Adam Curtis Blog: LET THEM EAT PLASTIC
Curtis, always fantastic, on credit.
- Cafés arabes : un élixir* de culture