Links September 13-17 2010
- Watch: As Israel Slides Toward Fascism, Citizens and Supporters Swear Their Loyalty | | AlterNet
The latest Blumenthal video.
Art site has many interviews with Middle East artists.
- The regime can fix the elections – but it can't fix the Egyptian people | Ahdaf Soueif | Comment is free
- RE: Mauritanian AQIM Members, General Information « The Moor Next Door
Charting AQIM - Mauritania.
- Philly man admits going to Egypt to impregnate young girls
Sicko sexual tourism under religious garb.
- The War On Marty - The Daily Dish | By Andrew Sullivan
Sullivan doesn't like racists and prejudiced people, except when they're his friends.
- Esam Al-Amin: Three Sides of the Qu'ran Burning Triangle
Argument about Islamophobia and the media.
- LRB · Adam Shatz · Short Cuts
On Jeffrey Goldberg, Israel and Iran.
- POMED Notes “Egypt on the Brink: Looking Ahead to Elections and Other Possible Transitions”
Good roundup of conference.
- The New McCarthyism - The Daily Dish | By Andrew Sullivan
"I also predict that a military attack on another Muslim country, Iran, will be the next outward expression of this new McCarthyism. And if Israel does it, it will be used by the neocon and Palinite right as a sign that Obama was too Muslim and too weak and too un-American to do it himself. The script is pretty obvious. What the neocons have to do first is kill off the peace process to pave the way for the Greater Israel Palin supports and believes in. Watch them do it."
- The Quest for Meaning by Tariq Ramadan
John Gray reviews, finding Ramadan too evasive.
- The problems of being called a 'Muslim intellectual' | Tariq Ramadan
A good personal piece.
- Oh No.....Al-Qa'ida Now Has Starship Troopers....Whatever Will We Do!?!?
- Report: Iran donates $25 million to Turkish PM Erdogan's party
Report: Israeli disinformation working overtime.
- Journal for the Study of Antisemitism (JSA)
Latest venture by Daniel Pipes & co.
- Gamal vs ElBaradei: Feeding the stomach or the mind? | Al-Masry Al-Youm
"Regime supporters include many of Egypt’s poor, who are essentially being bought off."
- Inside the Middle East: Snoozing in Sharm « - CNN.com Blogs
That peace process, so riveting!
- champollion st.
English Blog on Middle Eastern affairs by a Downtown Cairo fan.
- FT.com - Saudi Aramco eyes shale gas and offshore oil
Aramco diversying upstream and massively expanding downstream.
- FT.com - Sanctions put choker on Iran oil exports
Letters of credit for oil exports drying up.
- Who are the Palestinians?
Yet again, an Israeli claims that Palestinian is not a "legitimate national identity." Incoherent.
- Why It's Not Really Obama's Fault | Stephen M. Walt
Very good post on the US foreign policy community.
- The billionaire Koch brothers’ war against Obama : The New Yorker
The guys who finance the Tea Party movement.
- New Syrian Brotherhood Leader: Continuity or Change?
I thought the Syrian MB had already called an end to its truce with the regime.
- Twitter user sells @Israel username for six-figure sum
To the state of Israel, of course.
- Free Tal
On the disappearance of Syrian blogger Tal Mallohi.
- Yediot to Abe Foxman: Are we anti-Semitic too? « Coteret
Israeli poll shows Israelis don't think Bibi is serious about peace or that he should freeze settlements.
- Turkey’s Crises over Israel and Iran
New ICG report: "The U.S. and EU states should put aside simplistic clichés about Turkey “turning East”, “joining an Islamist bloc” or “turning its back on the West”."
- Marty Peretz Says Muslims Aren't Worthy of the First Amendment | Stephen M. Walt
Walt calls on Harvard to reject endowment in Peretz's name.
- PERETZ DOSSIER
The collected anti-Arab, anti-Muslim rants of The New Republic's editor-owner.
- U.S.-Saudi Arms Deal Moves Ahead - WSJ.com
This otherwise thorough story should mention that US military aid will partly underwrite this deal.