Links for August 29 - September 7 2010
When you've taken a blogging hiatus, you just don't know where to start.
- Ancient city by the sea rises amid Egypt's resorts
The ruins of the North Coast.
- Et tu, Saad? | Al-Masry Al-Youm
My column on l'affaire Ibrahim.
- Bahrain activists fear wider unrest - Al Jazeera English
Over 250 arrested in last 2 weeks.
- Elegy to Egyptian legend - The National
Nasser's home to become museum.
- The crimewave that shames the world - Robert Fisk, Commentators - The Independent
On honor crimes.
- This time in Washington, honest brokerage is not going to be enough | Avi Shlaim | The Guardian
"Third party intervention is clearly indispensable. To put it more simply, there can be no settlement unless America pushes Israel into a settlement. Playing the honest broker will not do the trick."
- State Control Committee to convene over military conversions affair - Ynetnews
Theocracy in action.
- Afghan Central Bank Pledges Support for Kabul Bank - NYTimes.com
This bank story pretty much encapsulates the Karzai regime.
- Planned Quran-burning could endanger troops, Petraeus warns - CNN.com
- Tony Blair's memoirs
In BBC interview, 'Middle East Peace Envoy' Blair calls for military strike on Iran if it develops nukes.
- Who's suppressing opposition rallies in Ramallah?
Abu Mazen and his gang, that's who.
- Thoughts Re: Recent AQIM Video | The Moor Next Door
Good stuff in here.
- Brian Whitaker's blog | Blaming Arabic
- SYRIA: Photos reveal hidden devastation of a years-long drought | Babylon & Beyond
Important pic of hidden drought in NE Syria.
- The American Conservative » Mossad in America
Mossad targeting American Muslims and US critics of Israel.
- BP, des couts et des coups!
BP rumored to be getting out of Algeria.
- The Park51 money trail - Laura Rozen - POLITICO.com
Surprise surprise: the main donors to anti-Park51 movement are funders of Israel lobby.
- Lebanon PM: It was wrong to accuse Syria of assassinating Rafiq al-Hariri | The Guardian
Full circle for mini-Hariri.
- Anti-Israel economic boycotts are gaining speed - Haaretz
The steady march of BDS.
- Arafat’s legacy is ignored, but his mistakes should not be - The National
Tony Karon on how Obama wrote Arafat out of history.
- Ground zero church launches with anti-Muslim, anti-Mormon sermon - Salon.com
But no one has a problem with that.
- Questions for Deepak Chopra
Just what we need: a bio of Muhammad by Deepak Chopra.
- +972 Magazine: Independent commentary from Israel & the Palestinian territories
New mag by Israeli left.
- Middle East Report Online: Hamas Back Out of Its Box by Nicolas Pelham
- William PFAFF-Europe's Responsibility in Obama's Mideast Negotiations
Hoping for European leadership.
- EU official apologises after blaming Jews for blocking Middle East peace talks | The Guardian
Guy states obvious.
- A Peace Plan Within Our Grasp - NYTimes.com
Hosni Mubarak op-ed.
- Apple gives Jerusalem to Israel | Syria News Wire
- Syria Comment » “Bush White House Wanted to Destroy the Syrian State by Force and With Urgency,” Tony Blair
- Nazi Hunter Worked for Mossad, Book Says - NYTimes.com
Wiesenthal was spy.
- Maids in the Middle East: Little better than slavery | The Economist
Maids in the Middle East — shame.
- Egypt at the Tipping Point
Essay by David Ottaway.
- Clash of the Blogosphere Titans
Greenwald contra Goldberg.
- The Book Bench: How It Feels to Be A Problem : The New Yorker
On Mustafa Bayoumi's book on Arab-Americans.
- Digested read: Tony Blair A Journey | The Guardian
So I don't have to read it.
- Mubarak signals Egypt succession by taking son to Washington - Haaretz
- How to kill goyim and influence people
Max Blumenthal on a very disturbing rabbinical guide.
- Saudi ban on Moroccan women is a stereotype too far | Nesrine Malik
Moroccan women banned from pilgrimage in case they are prostitutes.
- Jewish Journal
"A recent CIA paper cited Jewish acts of terrorism in the West Bank in its analysis of whether the United States is an exporter of terrorism."
- Abbas and Palestinians should die: Israeli rabbi (Reuters)
- Israeli actors boycott stirs settlement debate (AP)
"Leading Israeli theater artists have pledged not to perform in Jewish settlements in the West Bank."