Links 12-13 December 2011
- Egypt blogger's case gets boost in investigation
- Piss off! | Inanities
From the quill of Magdi Gallad.
- Syria: Razan Ghazzawi Charged, Bloggers Continue Campaign
- Benkirane, le mal-aimé du M20
- The Springborg Censorship Controversy and SCAF's Intentions
A handy walkthrough
- Textile workers vent fury on Ahmadi-Nejad - FT.com
They have over 20% inflation in Iran!?
- Tunisia must nip Islamist excesses in the bud - FT.com
Very good op-ed.
- They're baaack!
Who do you think? The Kagans!
- Al Maliki to Obama: 'No one has the right to tell Assad that 'he has to go!'
Maliki is right here about blockades.
- Lowe's pulls ads from TV show about U.S. Muslims - latimes.com
- Libérez le rappeur marocain Mouad L7a9ed
Freedom for Moroccan rapper imprisoned because of critical lyrics.
- Egypt's military to decide fate of Gitmo returnee
Great reporting by Hannah Allam who has followed Gitmo for years.
- Islamists Today: The illusive rise of Islamists
"The seeming triumph of Islamist forces will soon be revealed as an illusion."
- Revolution Continues, Al-Adl, distance themselves from Egyptian Bloc coalition
- BBC - Adam Curtis Blog: THE BITCH, THE STUD AND THE PRAWN
Surprising bit on Mohammed V of Morocco here.
- From Egypt: Manhood on the front lines | a paper bird
RT @Sarahcarr: Nice From Egypt: Manhood on the frontlines
- E-Notes: The Islamist Spring: What Mubarak Got Right, What Obama Got Wrong - FPRI
So this is what Raymond Stock has been up to. What rubbish.
- Britain and the EU: Britain, not leaving but falling out of the EU | The Economist
Wonderful commentary on the EU crisis.
- Le Roi, la Constitution et les ambassadeurs
Much legal indignation here - king ignoring his own new constitution.
- Le Canard enchaîné interdit au Maroc cette semaine
- Log In - The New York Times
This article points to the class divide in the Islamist camp in Egypt, with salafis wooing the underclass
- Editorial: The Definition of Insanity
"Egypt’s respected intelligentsia should stop doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results. That’s the definition of insanity."
- Untitled (http://24sur24.posterous.com/on-the-record-tunisian-nahda-leader-rachid-gh)
Quotes by #Ennahda's #Ghannouchi at The Washington Institute: @abuaardvark @arabist @blakehounshell @Daloosh @Ed_Husain
- إعلان قائمة الثورة مستمرة - ١ (المرحلة الثانية) - YouTube
the new Thawra Mostamera ad. Plz retweet :)
- Delirious Ambitions: “Who is Qatar?”
Delirious Ambitions: “Who is Qatar?” by Sean Fenley
- القرضاوي يفتي بجواز التدخل الدولي في سورية لوقف حمام الدم
Qaradawi fatwa that foreign intervention in Syria legitimate to stop the bloodshed (ar)
- Prominent Islamist's defeat deepens Salafi-Brotherhood rift | Al-Masry Al-Youm: Today's News from Egypt
Prominent Islamist's defeat deepens Salafi-Brotherhood rift: The failure of Abdel Moneim al-Shahat, a prominent ...
- Arab Nationalism, Islamism and the Arab Uprising
- Tahrir Square 22nov
Amazing 3 D pic of Tahrir on Nov 22. You'll love it even more if you see it on an iPad
- Narrowing the Options on the Table | Middle East Research and Information Project
On the nuclear issue and Iran.
- Secularists and Islamists in the Maghreb: The Dangers of Polarization : Tunisia Live
- تغطية أخبار كرة القدم من الغارديان باللغة العربية | Football | The Guardian
The Guardian's Arabic football website.
- Political Islam: Everywhere on the rise | The Economist
Good long piece on Islamists, diff. btw MB and Salafis.
- Lexington: The wretched Middle East | The Economist
Vehemently disagree with this.
- Israel and the Islamists: Oh no! But let’s talk, maybe | The Economist
- Salafi satellite TV in Egypt
Recommended re-reading this 2009 piece.
- Most Israelis Favour a Nuclear-Free Middle East, Poll Shows - IPS
- Max Blumenthal Responds To Sleaze Campaign Waged By Atlantic Monthly’s Ex-Detention Camp Guard Jeffrey Goldberg…And Why The Atlantic Monthly’s Sleaze Reminds Us Of Putin’s Russia… - By Max Blumenthal and Mark Ames - The eXiled
- ElBaradei: Parliament should monitor military budget, activities | Al-Masry Al-Youm
- Egypt's Vote: Will Islamists Face Off with the Military? - TIME
TIME: in egypt, islamist election win could bring showdown with the military — #egyelections #SCAF
- Photo could not be found - Twitpic
Liberal forces come together for the independent seats in phase 2 of #EgyElections
- An Arab Citizen - مواطن عربي: Highlights Of The Decree Creating Egypt's Consultative Council
- The Inevitable Rise of Egypt's Islamists - Thanassis Cambanis - The Atlantic
- Peter Beinart Is Right—or, a One-State Solution Is Inevitable if Settlements Continue - Jeffrey Goldberg
Did Goldberg just say he wants ALL settlements to be closed?
- Katatny Explains Why FJP Withdrew from SCAF's Advisory Council
RT @Ikhwanweb: Katatny Explains Why FJP Withdrew from SCAF's Advisory Council
- Ultraconservative Islamist Party Reshapes Egypt's Politics - The Daily Beast
Our own @1ursulina on the Salafists.
- Internal April 6 Dynamics, Egyptian Politics, and Outlooks for the Future: An Interview with Ahmed Maher
- Israel isn't good for the Jews
- Is it time for a new regulatory model for Egyptian broadcasting? | Al-Masry Al-Youm
- Full transcript of interview with Palestinian professor Rashid Khalidi - Haaretz