Links 22 February 2011
- Fleeing Egyptians Tell of Libya Carnage - WSJ.com
- Gadhafi Vows Fight to Death as East Falls, Oil Ports Shut - WSJ.com
- In Bahrain, Protesters’ Calls for Unity Belie Divisions - NYTimes.com
- Qaddafi’s Grip Falters as His Forces Take On Protesters - NYTimes.com
- i>TELE - Ménard Sans Interdit du 21 février
Robert Menard interviews Fouad Abdelmoumni (Makhzen explodes).
- EGYPT: Iranian ships enter Suez Canal | Babylon & Beyond | Los Angeles Times
That Israeli calls the perfectly legal passage of warships "a provocation" would be hilarious if they weren't the ones doing the provoking with this hullabaloo.
- Middle East Report Online: Jordan’s Balancing Act by Nicolas Pelham
"So far, Abdallah’s response to the regional uproar has been to retreat inward."
- Saif Al-Islam's Staff Reaches Out On Pol-Mil Issues
Wikileaks cable on Libyan lobbying US for arms purchases.
- Al-Qaida after Mubarak — jihadica
- Gaddafi’s End - By Elliott Abrams - The Corner - National Review Online
Rather confusingly, Elliott Abrams condemns the Obama administration's silence on Libya's human rights record while excusing the Bush administration's stance.
- After Gaddafi « LRB blog
Hugh Miles on Qadhafi's speech - and how likely chaos might follow regime fall.
- Nir Rosen | The Unstoppable Revolutionary Power of al Jazeera
Rosen argues that Jazeera enabled the revolutions, also good comments on Jazeera's "war footing" coverage.
- Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood faces prospect of democracy amid internal discord
""You don't know if what they say is what they want, and that's the big concern," a Western diplomat said, speaking on the condition of anonymity to voice an emerging concern."
- Libya under Muammar Gaddafi | World news | guardian.co.uk
Ian Black narrates Libya 1969 to the present.
- Syria Strongman: Time for 'Reform' - WSJ.com
I missed this story from late Jan, in which Assad says he will implement reforms. Right.
- Iran naval ships enter Suez Canal, set to anger Israel | Al-Masry Al-Youm: Today's News from Egypt
This story is really a mountain out of a molehill - by international treaty Egypt has to allow most ships that meet a certain criteria through. Other Iranian warships have passed through before.
- "America and Europe must leave the Middle East" | Think Africa Press
Interview with Essam al-Erian and Rashad al-Bayoumi of the Muslim Brothers.
- In eastern Libya, citizens buoyant and cautious as they await Gadhafi's move – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs
Ben Wedeman in Libya.